Media Release: Temporary closure of bush camps and roads in the north of KNP
Heavy rains in the Kruger National Park (KNP) have resulted in temporary closure of Bush Camps and most of the roads in the Nxanatseni Region. All the bookings made at the affected bush camps will be transferred to the nearest camps. Main roads lede to the rest camps with low level bridges have been affected as well.
“We took the decision to close Bush Camps so that we do not compromise the safety of our guests. On behalf of management, we apologise to all the guests for the inconvenience that might occur as results of this temporary closure” said the KNP Managing Executive, Mr Abe Sibiya.
The Bush Camps and roads which are currently closed are as follows:
- Shisha Low Level Bridge (S57) leading to Sirheni Bush Camp currently flooding.
- Shimuwini Low Level Bridge (S141) leading Shimuwini Bush Camp.
- Bateleur is also closed due to waterlogged road leading to the bush camp.
- Nyala Drive going to Thulamela.
- S-63 loop from the T-Junction to Crook’s corner
- Shongololo loop going to Shipandane Hide and Boulders
- Nkulumbeni Bridge (H1-7) between Shingwedzi and Punda Maria - guest are advised to use Phalaborwa - Letaba
- Mopani-Phalaborwa road (H14) – guest are advised to use Phalaborwa- Letaba
Data lines at most of the rest camps in the north are affected.
The Road and Maintenance team is currently monitoring the situation to provide guests with alternative roads. More roads might be closed as it is still raining. All the roads which are closed are marked with “No Entry” signs or blocked with other objects. Motorists are urged not to use those roads and to drive with caution” commented Sibiya.
Guests visiting the Kruger National Park, can view the latest information regarding state of the roads at the following gates in the north:
SANParks Media Specialist
Tel: 013 735 4300; cell: 0836736974
Browse accommodation and activities availability, and book online via our secure payment system and get 5% discount (excludes activities)
- Addo Cam 29/08/2015
Posted by: Trrp-trrrrrrrr on 29th August 2015
- Orpen Cam 29/08/2015
Posted by: melph68 on 29th August 2015
- 28 Glorious Days in Kruger!
Posted by: Mgoddard on 28th August 2015