SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Animal identification
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:01 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hello everyone

Is there any sort of electronic reference (IPAD) or convenient paper medium for this? And I mean for the greater animal kingdom that I'm likely to encounter in SA Parks. Because I must tell you that I have seen many and wondrous things and much of the time I dont know what the heck I'm looking at hey. Well, I think they're wondrous anyway.

Or maybe you have some other reference sources. Or maybe everyone else just knows these things which is what I think may be the case sometimes because they announce "ja, today we're going off to look for such 'n such". Or, "we didnt see whatever today but we saw this and that and the next thing". And I dont know what they're talking about.

So, I also want to wonder in around the fire or something and tell people what I saw. Tell me how you do it please.

Cheers - Ed

Post subject: Re: Animal identification
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:30 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Moobox and welcome to the forum. The book I bought was a cheap one on Ebay Field guide to the mammals of the Kruger national park. Just had a look on Bidorbuy and they have one for R70. It gives a good description on each animal with very good pictures. Also a ebook is available on Kalahari Field Guide to Mammals of Southern Africa for download R136. Hope that helps :D

7-11 Satara
12-15 Olifants
16-19 Lower Sabie
20-22 Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:16 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi, and welcome moobox :)

Another good resource is Game Ranger in your Backpack which includes information on mammals, birds, reptiles, trees, flowers all in one book.

If you looking for electronic resources, there are a number of apps available on the iTunes App Store by mydigitalearth which includes apps like Sasol eBirds, eMammals etc.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

OK thanks people. I got the mammals ebook for the IPAD and I also got Game Ranger in my Backpack. Already identified a few of the things that I saw previously. Well, I think i have anyway. One thing was dwarf mongoose family which we spent at least an hour looking at closely. Quite interesting little interactions they have with each other. And only now and again take notice of you and sort of scamper around a bit and carry on doing what they're doing. That was quite funny really. Like from a distance, people see you stopped and you can actually see this big thing speed up like mad and come up next to you giving the "what is it, where is it (Wii-Wii we called it)" salute. And then you point to the mongooses and so much disappointment. I'm nasty I know - sorry.

Cheers - Ed

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:30 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi moobox, and welcome to the forum :D Glad you got sorted.

No, you are not being nasty - we all know the "waar's die leeu" types. :wink: