Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: De Zyfer Cottage, Tankwa Karoo - tips/ advice appreciated!
Unread postPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:42 pm 

Hi everyone - I wonder if you might be able to help me out? I am visiting Tankwa Karoo NP in Sept '14 & am staying at De Zyfer cottage - I was wondering whether there is anyone in this forum who has stayed at this accommodation previously & what they thought of it? Do you have any tips following your stay there? Were there nice views from the cottage & did it have a feeling of 'remoteness?'. Was there any prospect of game viewing from the cottage?

In terms of the park more generally, does anyone have any recommendations in terms of drives (we have a 4x4) & nice spots to visit? Any particular wildlife to look out for in certain areas?

Any advice is hugely appreciated :)

Emma.

Post subject: Re: De Zyfer Cottage, Tankwa Karoo - tips/ advice appreciate
Unread postPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:57 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Hello We stayed in the cottage last year .( it was an old farm house). We love remote and this is what we got . The cottage has no electricity . candles for lighting . there is a basic gas with two plates to cook on and a gas fridge . Hot water is warmed using the Donkey You have to fire it up yourself .. There is a huge range fire place Plus an outside area to braai . two bed rooms and an entrance/ lounge and dining area a nice stoep with views of the little dam . there are no staff or anyone for that matter around
Lots to see if you like wide open spaces
You don't go to Tankwa if you want the big stuff. We saw plenty of eland and springbokkies . plenty of birds ( mainly the bigger ones) The drive up the pass is a must . we stopped near the top and had a picnic and we did not need a 4x4 Our car just tootled up and down . We only stayed two nights but we could easily have stayed longer . We entered the Park from Sutherland over another amazing pass.. a 4x4 might be a good idea if travelling in wet weather but again our car managed well ( I would hate to travel up though ) we left via the road to Calvinia ) back over the botterkloof pass then the Pakhuis pass on the N7 back to CT.
Hope that helps
Oh by the way you have to take all your food with you .

Unread postPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:37 pm 

Hi Hugh - Thank you so much for your reply - much appreciated. I am hugely looking forward to the remoteness the park offers. The trip is in September & I am excited already! :)

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:15 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

missechsinclair wrote:
Hi everyone - I wonder if you might be able to help me out? I am visiting Tankwa Karoo NP in Sept '14 & am staying at De Zyfer cottage - I was wondering whether there is anyone in this forum who has stayed at this accommodation previously & what they thought of it? Do you have any tips following your stay there? Were there nice views from the cottage & did it have a feeling of 'remoteness?'. Was there any prospect of game viewing from the cottage?

In terms of the park more generally, does anyone have any recommendations in terms of drives (we have a 4x4) & nice spots to visit? Any particular wildlife to look out for in certain areas?

Any advice is hugely appreciated :)

Emma.

Hi Emma

We were in Tanqua during April this year and thoroughly enjoyed it. http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=79713 is my Trip Report which should give you an idea of what to expect

29/12/14 - 05/1/15 MZNP
02-07/4/15 Addo
26/6 - 5/7/15 MZNP
4 - 7/8/15 Richtersveld NP
17 - 26/8/15 Kgalagadi NP

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:00 am 

Hi!

I think Hugh summed it up well. We saw a baboon and a mouse from the cottage. :lol: You will enjoy it!

We stayed at De Zyfer in Desember 2011 and it was a great experience! It definitely has 'a feeling of remoteness'. Here is a photo of my GPS on our way to De Zyfer:

:D

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:46 pm 

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply - I loved the trip report! I am really looking forward to those big open spaces, not long to go now!!!! :)