Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228 ... 275  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bird ID Challenge.
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:01 pm 

5/8 for this really great challenge. Plenty of little details that must but were not noticed

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:26 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
addictedToBirds wrote:
Plenty of little details that must but were not noticed

.... add the time factor, and you're in for a disaster (like me)! :roll:

Well done addictedToBirds! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:58 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi everyone

Here are the answers for challenge #33 of 2013.
There were 19 participants with an average score of 4.89/8, or 61.18%.
Well done to everyone who took part :thumbs_up: and a big well done to Ladybirder who got full marks :clap:

White-bellied (Barrow’s) Korhaan – (8/19)
Both of the Black Korhaans have white greater wing coverts. Karoo Korhaan doesn’t have the white face, and the remiges and primary coverts are more dark brown than black. The buff windows on the primaries are more extensive, and Karoo Korhaan also lacks the buff greater wing coverts that this bird has. Blue Korhaan would show a noticeable amount of blue on the primaries and greater primary coverts. Ruppell’s Korhaan has much more white, and much less black on the upper-wings, with the black being restricted to the trailing edge and wing-tips They also lack the buff greater wing coverts. The only Korhaan that matches all the features is White-bellied Korhaan, with the white face, black primaries and secondaries, buff/white panel on the primaries, and buff greater wing coverts. (Photo taken: Rhenosterkop, Gauteng)

African Rock Pipit – (9/19)
Most people who got this one wrong said a Warbler of some sorts, mostly Sedge or Willow Warbler. The jizz of this bird is wrong for a Warbler, and also you will NEVER see either of those perched out in the open on a rock like this. You must always try look at more than just the bird, and the habitat is a big clue in this picture. The jizz, bold, almost Robin-like, supercilium, and yellow markings on the wings are diagnostic for African Rock Pipit. (Photo taken: Greylingstad, Mpumalanga)

Lazy Cisticola – (10/19)
A Cisticola with a plain back leaves only Neddicky, Short-winged Cisticola and Lazy Cisticola. Nobody said Short-winged Cisticola. The most regular incorrect answer was Neddicky, but the tail of this bird is much too long for Neddicky. Some people answered Tawny-flaked Prinia, but that has a much more slender jizz, distinct supercilium, and red eye-ring. The long tail cocked up like this is a typical pose for Lazy Cisticola. (Photo taken: Ezemvelo Nature Reserve, Gauteng)

Great Sparrow – (15/19)
The most frequent incorrect answer here was Common Chaffinch, but that has much more extensive grey on the hind-neck, and also much more brown and black on the back, as opposed to rufous/chestnut like this bird has. Habitat is also wrong for Chaffinch. House Sparrow would have a more brown colouring on the sides of its head, not the rich chestnut colouring that this bird has. Also on House Sparrow the grey is restricted to the nape, and doesn’t extend onto the mantle. (Photo taken: Fafung Village, North West)

Bennett’s Woodpecker (female) – (18/19)
Not too many problems with this one. The combination of the spots underneath, spotted fore-crown, red hind-crown and brown check and throat patches means that this can only be female Bennett’s Woodpecker. (Photo taken: Borakalalo Game Reserve, North West)

Gabar Goshawk (juv) – (17/19)
Also not too many problems here. The legs are too short to be either of the Chanting Goshawks, and also juvenile Chanting Goshawks have a more solid brown colouring on their breasts, as opposed to streaks. Juvenile Gabar Goshawk is the only accipiter with a combination of a streaked chest and barred belly. In this photo, if you look closely you can also see the white bar on the secondaries which is a diagnostic feature of Gabar Goshawk in all age groups (Photo taken: Kgalagadi Transfontier Park, Northern Cape)

Bradfield’s Hornbill – (11/19)
This one is only really between three candidates; Crowned, Monteiro’s and Bradfield’s Hornbill. Everyone said one of these 3 birds. Crowned is overall darker, and also has a more red, as opposed to orange bill. There is also always a visible amount of yellow at the base to the bill of Crowned, and Crowned always has a casque on the bill, whereas this bird has no casque. Monteiro’s Hornbill has white spots on the wings, white secondaries and distinct white outer-tail feathers which this bird lacks, and Monteiro’s also usually shows a dull yellow base to the bill. (Photo taken: Moremi Game Reserve, Botswana)

Fawn-coloured Lark – (5/19)
This turned out to be the toughest bird of the challenge. The shape, colouring, bold supercilium, and robust bill should get you to the Lark family. Sobota Lark is much more heavily marked on the breast, head and face than this bird. Stark’s Lark is a lighter grey colour on the back and head, as opposed to rufous like this bird. Also it is quite uncommon to see Starks Lark perched on a bush; it is much more commonly seen on the ground. Dune Lark is the most similar looking to this Lark, but Dune Lark always shows some degree of markings on the breast. Therefore, the combination of the rufous colouring on the head, bold white supercilium, lack of any other facial markings such as a malar stripe, and totally unmarked white breast only fits for Fawn-coloured Lark. (Photo taken: Kgalagadi Transfontier Park, Northern Cape)

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:30 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
That Korhaan got me! Thanks for a well balanced challenge, Matt. And kudus for the great explanatory notes with your answer.

Challenge #34 of 2013

I hope this challenge can emulate Matt’s for its ability to test the ‘mites’ mettle…

#9 - A TWIST: Which bird endemic to southern Africa has lost 20 percent of its total population during the past year?

Enjoy!

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:49 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks MattAxel for the detailed notes. Korhaan :wall: It was an excellent challenge. :thumbs_up:

Thanks to Johan for the new one. Looks just as hard as Matt's :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the challenge Johan :thumbs_up:
My answers are in :pray:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:18 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Wow MattAxel! That was quick! :clap: :clap:

Thank you for the answers to #33/2013! :D

Thanks for the new challenge Johan! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

hilda wrote:
Wow MattAxel! That was quick! :clap: :clap:

Maybe I should've taken a bit longer to get my answers in :wall: Kicking myself over some stuff I missed :redface:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bradfields hornbill :evil: never heard of it :tongue: thanks for the new challenge and thanks Matt for the answers.
That # 8 is giving me a headache :(

Edit maybe if I looked at my books better I would have seen the hornbill :wall:

7-11 Satara
12-15 Olifants
16-19 Lower Sabie
20-22 Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

#34 I got 5/9 am happy with that after last weeks :redface: score.

7-11 Satara
12-15 Olifants
16-19 Lower Sabie
20-22 Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:19 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

6/9 - Not too bad I think :hmz: If #9 is wrong, it means that I got 6 birds out of 8 and that sounds quite good to me :thumbs_up: :wink: I hope that #9 was wrong :dance: :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:57 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

6/9 for me too!

That was a very sneaky challenge!

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:16 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Well done everybody! :clap: :clap:

I'm still paging! :hmz:

Note:

Challenge #35/2013 will be posted by DotDan on Friday, 6 September 2013! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Good scores everyone :clap: :clap: :clap:
Have put my answers in to be marked :lol: Like being back at school :lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:27 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
6/9 for me too for challenge #34/2013. :thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228 ... 275  Next