Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Butterflies in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:22 am 

I am seriously thinking about taking a two week trip to Kruger at the end of october or early november for about two weeks.
Besides birds and mammals i love to photograph butterflies. At my previous trips i saw a lot of them but at places where i could not get out of the car.
What are the best places to find them? Restcamps? Picknick areas? Because i never saw them close to the restaurants in Satara or Skukuza.
I think i will go to Punda Maria, Letaba, Satara and Lower Sabie for the upcoming trip.

Post subject: Re: Butterflies in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:30 am 

I am sure you will find Butterflies all over the place and certainly around areas where there are an abundant of flowers/plants anywhere in the park.
I am sure you will find them in the various camps and picnic areas certainly as Spring and Summer advance.

Have a look Here for lots of pics and advice on the various species.

Enjoy your trip and I hope you find lots of beautiful butterflies to take pics of. :thumbs_up:

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:06 pm 

Hi Bart47, The best camp I have found for butterflies is Mopani - especially Swallowtails. I am not sure what the bushes are but try the area near the car parking for the restaurant and shop. I usually stay there in late November, and there are always plenty around. bondm

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:43 pm 

Thank you on our way from Punda we will stop at Mopani. Swallowtails are beautiful. We have one specie here in the Netherlands and that is a very rare one.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Bart at Punda at the fence in the camping area where the water is piped into the waterhole, the mud can sometimes be productive. I have also found the Flycatcher trail in the camp to have produced a few.

At each camp the swimming pool area is probably the best, especially if there is some splashed water on the paving around the pool.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:04 pm 

On the walks you normally found butterflies, maybe consider a walk in one of the camps.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:30 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

You will most likely go to Pafuri picnicspot. Have a look at the area nearest the bridge, there are oodles of butterflies there normally. And it is a getout spot.

Crooks corner is a get out spot too, and should also give you quite a few butterflies.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:43 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Also then at Pafuri picnic area especially along the path going towards Franks house - Thus to the right if looking at the river.

I also found quite a number infront of the Shingwedzi Restaurant - but they were active during the warmer part of the day, disappearing in the late afternoon.

Of course, especially if it is quite warm, look out for fresh elephant dung in the road.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:36 pm 

Yes, elephant dung is popular for the moisture.

And though you can not get out of the car, you can usually park next to or quite close to them, to take pictures from close up.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:39 pm 

Hi All, I was wondering how Bart47 went on with his butterflies. I have now returned from my latest trip last Nov/Dec and have just about acclimatised to the weather in the UK. On 30th Nov. we called in at Mopani on our way to Shingwedzi. I ordered breakfast and then wandered down the walkway to view the dam. At the point where you can look out over the dam there is an old tree on the left hand side. It was full of blossom and covered in butterflies. Here are a few of the photographs I took:-
African Monarch
Cream Striped Swordtail
Forest White
Large Striped Swordtail
Yellow Pansy
I think I have the butterfly ID's correct, but can anyone identify the tree? There was also a number of acraeas present, but the ones I photographed looked a bit battleworn. After 10 minutes my breakfast was ready so at that point I left, but no worry we will be back to stay at the camp in a few days time. Returning on the 3rd of Dec I set off armed with camera, but dis-appointment - the tree's blossom had died and not a single butterfly in sight.
Just shows, you have to take your chances when you can. bondm UK

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:58 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Beautiful :clap: :clap: :clap:

Kruger May/June 2014
Mokala June 2014