Skip to Content

Database of good (kruger) photo locations

Share and discuss your images (strictly SANparks related)
vinkie
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa

Re: Database of good (kruger) photo locations

Unread postby vinkie » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:51 pm

yoda wrote:
Meandering Mouse wrote:Good post to resurrect.

I see in the latest "Getaway" magazine that Kwaggaspan waterhole was considered to be one of the ten best in Southern Africa. It looks as though photo friendly places formed the basis of the nomination. I must say, as familiar as I am with Kruger, I had to look it up.

MM,
Where is Kwgaaspan?
Had a quick look on my map and can't seem to find it. :redface:

On tar road between Berg-en-Dal and Skukuza
Live life on the edge but be careful not to fall off! :wink:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

yoda
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby yoda » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:41 pm

vinkie wrote:
yoda wrote:
Meandering Mouse wrote:Good post to resurrect.

I see in the latest "Getaway" magazine that Kwaggaspan waterhole was considered to be one of the ten best in Southern Africa. It looks as though photo friendly places formed the basis of the nomination. I must say, as familiar as I am with Kruger, I had to look it up.

MM,
Where is Kwgaaspan?
Had a quick look on my map and can't seem to find it. :redface:

On tar road between Berg-en-Dal and Skukuza

Doh, I missed it. :big_eyes:
Thanks vinkie :thumbs_up:
And I have driven past there many times. Though to be honest, can't remember having any decent sightings aside from the usual Impalas.

skywalker2251

Unread postby skywalker2251 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:43 am

Biyamiti Weir is a great place for photos. I love being eye level with the water there, and although it's still a little ways from camp, I've had several opportunities, either in the morning or evening there, with great light.

moobox
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby moobox » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:27 pm

So I'm planning my next trip to KNP. And now I would like to know where good spots are for early morning photography. As advised by Jan van Wyk, I spent some time at Lake Panic in the afternoon with the sun behind you. And it was good.

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:43 am

The deck at Lower Sabie at sunrise is a good place. No one around, hippos returning to the water, sunrise over the river. In winter you can get some good atmospheric shots with the water vapour.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

squirrel_asc

Unread postby squirrel_asc » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:35 pm

Biyamiti Weir - Early morning. Love the low angle you can get here!
The hide (which name I can't remember :whistle: ) on the S28 a few Km south of Lower Sabie - Late afternoon. Beautiful spot for birding, and the opposite bank is nice and close, should any animals come to drink.
Lake Panic - late afternoon.
Any of the roads around Satara - The open plains make great photos :)
Shingwedzi causeway - Morning or Afternoon.
Any of the little loops/viewpoints on the S50 past Kanniedood dam - Afternoon.

That's all I can think of for now, but there is more :tongue:

yoda
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby yoda » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:41 pm

Sunset Dam.

iLoveMeerkats!

Unread postby iLoveMeerkats! » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:34 pm

Shutterbug wrote:I really like LightTrac for iPad/iPhone, Android also has it.
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/lighttrac/id392892355?mt=8

I just stumbled upon this thread and need to thank Shutterbug for this suggestion. I downloaded this app and spent the next several hours figuring out where the sun and moon would be relative to all of the camps we will be in come November. VERRRRRRRRRY COOL. Thanks Shutterbug, :cam:

onewithnature
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)

Unread postby onewithnature » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:07 pm

I just stumbled over this thread - and almost fell flat on my face I was so excited - and think this is a superb idea. Obviously, the recommendations are valid in good light, but some may be equally atmospheric at other times and in other weather conditions. Thanks to Shutterbug for the excellent app. :clap: :clap: :clap:
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

badprop_za

Unread postby badprop_za » Thu May 28, 2015 9:59 am

squirrel_asc wrote:Biyamiti Weir - Early morning. Love the low angle you can get here!
The hide (which name I can't remember :whistle: ) on the S28 a few Km south of Lower Sabie - Late afternoon. Beautiful spot for birding, and the opposite bank is nice and close, should any animals come to drink.
Lake Panic - late afternoon.
Any of the roads around Satara - The open plains make great photos :)
Shingwedzi causeway - Morning or Afternoon.
Any of the little loops/viewpoints on the S50 past Kanniedood dam - Afternoon.

That's all I can think of for now, but there is more :tongue:

+1 on the hide on the S28.

Sat their for an hour the one day, when I walked out to go back to my car, I was greeted by an ellie at the gate. :shock:
Had my D7000 with 200-400 lens with me, and was unable to zoom out enough to fit just his head.

Ellie walked past the hide and scratch himself against the tree just to the right of the hide. Tbh, he was close enough to touch from inside the hide. I was not that brave though. :redface:

Of all the sightings I had during that week (which included lions, cheetah, honeybadger, etc) this was the most special and adrenaline racing sighting. 8)
Why do time fly when you are having fun?

KNP - May'14 done and dusted :cry:

KNP - 14 Aug'15 to 21 Aug'15 :dance:

JimS

Unread postby JimS » Fri May 29, 2015 10:51 am

Here is my two cents worth on my favourite locations for photography in Kruger.

Sunrise and Sunset

I prefer to take sunrise/set pics before the sun rises and after the sun sets, looking for interesting clouds that will reflect the sun's colours without the sun overpowering the pic. I also try and use water to echo the cloud colours to add colour to the foreground. So favourite places, the low water bridge at Skukuza for sunrise, some nice rocks for foreground interest. The high level bridge at Kruger Gate for sunrise and sunset. The Lower Sabie area and Olifants viewpoints, and the high level bridge at Letaba. Lake Panic for sunrise pics.

Birds

Obviously Lake Panic during the months of Sept/Oct/Nov when the chicks are hatching, particularly the grey herons the whole place is buzzing. If there are darters/cormorants perched in front of the hide in the early morning then there can be some very nice rim lighting on the birds, I keep the sky out of the pic. If the malachite kingfishers are around then they often perch on the tangle of branches close to the left of the hide, nice dark background to make the bird "pop" in the pic. Watch out for the wire tailed swallows feeding the chicks, the chick is perched and the parent hovers to feed the chick, nice action pic if you can get it. Earlier this year I, and other photographers managed to get pics of a python catching and eating a woodland kingfisher close to the hide.

The Sweni hide is also excellent for birds with egrets nesting during spring. The hide is a little high but almost at eye level for flying birds such as herons. The loop next to the hide puts you at eye level with birds in the river, as does the Sweni causeway. In the last couple of years there have been large herds of elephants around the hide in the afternoon. The sun moves from left to right of the hide and is never really behind the hide.

Sunset Dam in the early morning, sun behind you. Lots of birds in flight action, egrets, wood storks, geese, spoonbills and maybe fish eagles. Lots of small birds wading at the waters edge.

Animals

I don't drive around very much in Kruger, preferring to go to places where I can predict the light and to an extent predict what can be seen and photographed. I have no wish to get involved in the traffic jams at a cat sighting. For the cat pics I go to the Kgalagadi. In the last couple of years the tar road between Satara and Sweni has been very productive, lots of hyena, lion, and cheetah, in an open landscape for good pics.
In the north of the park the Tihongonyeni waterhole on the S143 near Mopani is also a good morning location, assuming it has water. I have taken pics of huge herds of buffalo coming to drink, elephant and eland, with good birds, storks and vultures, and uncommon birds such as blue cheeked bee eaters, and pratincoles.

So that's my small two cents worth

Jim

Return to “SANParks Camera Club”