Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: OLIFANTS SIGHTINGS
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:01 pm 
Guru
Guru

:D Tuesday the 11th of February I took the Morning Drive out and on the powerline no entry road to the S91, we found a Brown Snake Eagle, and as we were driving down the road, he flew ahead of us, from one powerline pole to the next.
We also seen some Impalas and close to the tar road we found many Giraffes. A km or so after crossing the high level water bridge we found the local troop of Baboons, and while they were enjoying the White berries from the White Berry Bush, we took pictures and also got the 2 Hyeana cubs at the den. On our way back to the camp from another no entry road we found looooots more Giraffes, Zebras, and right next to the tourist road my 1st White Rhino since being back in Olifants.

On my Night Drive that evening, we were not too lucky with the cats like the previous few night drives, but seen 2 Hippo's, MAAAAAAANNNNNYYYY Impalas, Scrub Hares, Spring Hares, Night Jars, Bronze Winged Coursers, Water Thick knees, with 1 having a Scorpion in his beak, and enjoyed the stars from the View Point on the S44, and eventually got some Zebras close to the tar road as we completed the S93, S44 loop, North East of the camp.

The other drives Vusi, Patrick and other Vusi did, they were also lucky with seeing Leopards, Lions, Wild Dogs, Buffaloes, Elephants and the other general animals.

And last night I took the Bush Braai drive out and seen the normal animal sightings, but ones I haven't had in a while like: Steenbok, Duiker, Elephants, Leopard Tortoise and many nocturnal birds after the dinner.

This morning Vusi seen Lions on the tar road very close to Nwamanzi view point 9 km's from the camp.

Patrick and myself did the Morning Walk at Jim's windmill, and after fishing a Golden Brown Baboon spider out of it's burrow and viewing the Golden Orb Web spiders and walking for a while we seen Elephant bulls in the distance. When got to their fresh tracks we could smell the 1 bull is in musth, and it was then when we heard the Elephant herd far to our left, and the Elephant Bulls were gone. We followed their track for a looooooong time and those cows definitely made the bulls crazy, because they were nowhere to be seen. Eventually we could only see their backs disappearing over the slope and with the more senior guests we had, it was difficult to follow them, but eventually got to the herd, and more Elephant bulls arrived and eventually had to walk zig zag to get out between the Elephant Bulls, trying to get lucky with the cows. hahaha :naughty: .

When we got back to the camp, the River walk was waiting for me, and seen some Waterbuck, Impalas, Hippo's, Crocodiles, Rock Bunting on the walk and also had the memories of where the big Jackalberry and Fig trees used to be, before they went on holiday to Mosambique during the 2012 floods and never returned. :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:48 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Lourens, it's so great to hear about the wonderful sightings in the area. Congrats on the two leopards in one night! :dance:

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:47 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
wow thank you... it's always a pleasure to read your "adventures" :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wow Laurens some great tales. We are thinking of doing a walk at Olifants so keep them stories coming. :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:46 pm 
Guru
Guru

:D Hi forumites!!!

On the 14th and 15th I was off, and used the time to try and catch up on my assignments for my studies, and at least progressed, but not as far as I wanted to. Sunday I did the Night Drive, and during the Morning Drive Vusi seen Wild Dogs close to Nwamanzi view point and during the 2 days on the walks some Black Rhino and Lions on the tar road to the camp.

My Night drive also started very exciting with while standing watching a Mosambican/Square Tailed Night Jar in the road, a Lionness came walking up the road, and as she passed us, sniffed the tail gate before she walked off into the bush, with us trying to go on a No Entry road, to try and have a look at her again, when we then found a Genet, walking around on the ground. The Lionness was seen again, as she walked down to the river.

The rest of the drive we had seen all the nocturnal birds- Thickknees (Water and Spotted), Bronze Winged Coursers, lots more Night Jars, 2 Spring Hares, many Scrub Hares and Impalas and eventually 4 km's from the camp we found our first 2 Hippo's.

The next morning on the 17th we did the walk South of the Olifants River and was such a nice walk with many Hippos as a start, and the rest of the walk many Zebras, Impalas, Blue Wildebeests, Giraffes, Sharpe's Grysbok and hearing Elephants Trumpheting and Zebras calling often.

Straight from the Morning Walk out on the River Walk and seen Waterbuck, Hippo's of course, Buffalo bulls, heard many Woodland Kingfishers, Diederick's Cuckoos, Rock bunting, African Fish Eagle, and with the Hippo's welcoming and saying goodbye as we arrived and left them.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:55 pm 
Guru
Guru

:D

Last edited by Lourens on Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:58 pm 
Guru
Guru

:D From the River Walk to Letaba to collect our truck after some renovations to the canvas roof, and 2 hours later went out on the 2nd Sunset Drive. Luckily seen 3 herds of Elephants, Sharpe's Grysbok a few times, beautiful Sunset over the mixed bushveld South of the Olifants River and many general game (Zebras, Giraffes, Impalas, Blue Wildebeests) and Waterbuck and on the way back to the camp some Hyeanas walking in the road.

This morning we did the walk on the No entry Powerline road and was such a nice morning in the bush with all the birds and animal chorus the whole walk long.

Hyeanas calling the whole time from beginning to end, Lions answering in between, and a big herd of Impalas jumping around, when we were spotted and made their alarm calls until they were sure we left them. Went over some little hills, on the flat plateau area and walked back to the vehicle along the small stream.

On the River walk seen Hippo's with a very small calve, and a Hippo with a mis-formed mouth, with the white tusks sticking out, and couldn't help myself laughing, due to the dracula teeth sticking out.

Some Zebras made their way down to the River, while were looking at a small Yellow bellied Striped sand snake and forgot to say while watching the Hippo's a Rock bunting came flying from her nest, leaving the 2 little eggs behind, so we didn't want to make our visit too long, and walked down the River before making our way back to the vehicle.

In an hours time a Bush Braai...

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:05 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I'm enjoying every moment of reading about your walks and drives........... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you for sharing!!

Enjoy the Bush Braai!!! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:29 pm 
Guru
Guru

:D I received an email from one my German friends, and after reading the email just realised once again, how grateful we should actually be, having a job.

That is what she typed in her email:

"It was a great pleasure to stroll with you in mind through your stunning landscapes with all its little precious moments enriching your days and waiting for you guys everywhere on your ways. That is the best benefit of your job and I am so happy about it, because as long as you love to go out there, there is always a chance to compensate the hard work in the background, if you don’t push you too hard – even the best story teller needs a break here and there in between ;) Can imagine how beautiful it must have been to watch the up rise of a new day when the sun slowly try to break through the early morning mist and the wet grass is running over your body, I like this time of the day a lot as well and which other overwhelming moments in bush you shared with us, how exciting it must have been for your guests to be with you out in that night where a phenomenous trip with so many extraordinary sightings was crowned by your star gazing and not to forget the funny moments, when you have to work hard on your mimic when a guest is all over with mud – ha, ha … Happy to hear that you found a way to share with your guests the lovely night sky my favorite and inspiring stargazer ;)

Enjoyed each aspect of your posting, thanks aloooooooooooot for your effort in doing this …"

People even myself, sooooo easily see the worse in a job, and feel tired so quickly and demotivated with a small salary and then having friends like you, let me realise once more how grateful we can be, having a job!!!!! She is jobless for such a long time now, and still stay positive putting out applications, and getting one refusal after the next.

So for us having a job, be graterful, say thank you to God for that privelage. Just wanted to share this special moment with all of you. :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:26 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Lourens wrote:
....... So for us having a job, be graterful, say thank you to God for that privelage. Just wanted to share this special moment with all of you. :D....
:thumbs_up: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I love reading your updates Lourens. :clap: You're right, we should appreciate the jobs we have. :thumbs_up:

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I love reading about all your adventures Lourens, please keep them coming :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:19 am 

Thanks very much for the updates Lourens, and also for sharing your friend's e-mail with us.

We do tend to always complain about things, and never give thanks for the good things in our lives. I hope that your friend is successful in her quest for employment. :thumbs_up:

Looking forward to further updates in due course.

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:35 am 
Guru
Guru

:D Good morning from Olifants Reception,

I was Bush Braai security last night, and while sitting along the Olifants River waiting for the restaurant staff to arrive, I enjoyed the moment of silence and viewed the Kudu nearby, and the Giraffe on the other side of the river.

This morning on my Morning Drive I had guests from Brazil, Germany, America, Poland and me from South Africa, haahahaha.

We found some Scrub Hares and Night jars on our way out and after the downhill we got a hippo making his way back to the River as it was still dark, and not long after spotted the quills of a Porcupine, but when we stopped and reversed he disappeared already into a drain pipe going below the road. And as I was telling the guests about what I have seen we heard the Lion start roaring and about a km further we found the Lionness lying next to the road.

She wasn't happy with the movement inside the truck, and the more I said to the guests, please don't move so much, the more they did. Eventually she jumped up and ran off the road. The male Lion then made his appearance on our right, and eventually as the first cars arrived and the sun came up on the East we left the sighting. Still trying to make up my mind which way to drive, we turned right towards Letaba at the 9km T-junction and found the local troop of Baboons. I then decided to turn back and go South of the River,and found 2 Buffaloes lying next to the Olifants River and on our way back still found them in the same spot. The rest of the drive was a bit quiet, but at least seen a few Steenbok, 4 Giraffes, 6 Zebras, Saddle billed Storks, Yellow Billed Storks, African Fish Eagle, Heron species, and many Impalas, Hyeana cubs and 2 Warthogs, so not too quiet at the end. hahaha.

On our River walk from the Balule low water bridge, which is still not fixed, we found a Hippo with her, we guessed about 2 day old calf.

I am going off for my 3 outstanding off days, so will be back at work on Sunday.

And then start counting my nights (slapies- sleeping nights), before I go on annual leave from the 1st till the 31st of March 2014, and visiting my girlfriend in AUSTRIA!!!!!

So will have more detail soon. Enjoy!!! :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:50 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
two days old Hippo's calf :dance:
:hmz: in Austria... you will have a bit cold :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next