Skip to Content

Olifants Sightings

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
Wild about cats
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: OLIFANTS SIGHTINGS

Unread postby Wild about cats » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:52 pm

I love reading your updates Lourens. :clap: You're right, we should appreciate the jobs we have. :thumbs_up:
Next SANPark: Mapungubwe 2015

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Letaba Ladies, 3rd Edition - '14 - '15

Carol g
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Carol g » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:10 pm

I love reading about all your adventures Lourens, please keep them coming :dance:
Those who have no love in there hearts for animals, have no love in there hearts at all

LindaS

Unread postby LindaS » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:19 am

Thanks very much for the updates Lourens, and also for sharing your friend's e-mail with us.

We do tend to always complain about things, and never give thanks for the good things in our lives. I hope that your friend is successful in her quest for employment. :thumbs_up:

Looking forward to further updates in due course.

:popcorn: :popcorn:
A smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks

Lourens
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Lourens » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:35 am

:D Good morning from Olifants Reception,

I was Bush Braai security last night, and while sitting along the Olifants River waiting for the restaurant staff to arrive, I enjoyed the moment of silence and viewed the Kudu nearby, and the Giraffe on the other side of the river.

This morning on my Morning Drive I had guests from Brazil, Germany, America, Poland and me from South Africa, haahahaha.

We found some Scrub Hares and Night jars on our way out and after the downhill we got a hippo making his way back to the River as it was still dark, and not long after spotted the quills of a Porcupine, but when we stopped and reversed he disappeared already into a drain pipe going below the road. And as I was telling the guests about what I have seen we heard the Lion start roaring and about a km further we found the Lionness lying next to the road.

She wasn't happy with the movement inside the truck, and the more I said to the guests, please don't move so much, the more they did. Eventually she jumped up and ran off the road. The male Lion then made his appearance on our right, and eventually as the first cars arrived and the sun came up on the East we left the sighting. Still trying to make up my mind which way to drive, we turned right towards Letaba at the 9km T-junction and found the local troop of Baboons. I then decided to turn back and go South of the River,and found 2 Buffaloes lying next to the Olifants River and on our way back still found them in the same spot. The rest of the drive was a bit quiet, but at least seen a few Steenbok, 4 Giraffes, 6 Zebras, Saddle billed Storks, Yellow Billed Storks, African Fish Eagle, Heron species, and many Impalas, Hyeana cubs and 2 Warthogs, so not too quiet at the end. hahaha.

On our River walk from the Balule low water bridge, which is still not fixed, we found a Hippo with her, we guessed about 2 day old calf.

I am going off for my 3 outstanding off days, so will be back at work on Sunday.

And then start counting my nights (slapies- sleeping nights), before I go on annual leave from the 1st till the 31st of March 2014, and visiting my girlfriend in AUSTRIA!!!!!

So will have more detail soon. Enjoy!!! :D
The only place where SUCCESS stands before WORK is in the Dictionary

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)

Unread postby anne-marie » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:50 pm

two days old Hippo's calf :dance:
:hmz: in Austria... you will have a bit cold :wink:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

planing KTP janv/fev.2016

johanrebel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby johanrebel » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:52 am

Lourens wrote:the memories of where the big Jackalberry and Fig trees used to be, before they went on holiday to Mosambique during the 2012 floods and never returned. :D
Anyone who remembers the view from Olifants Camp back in the 90s, i.e. before the 2000 floods as well as the 2012 ones, can attest to how dramatic the change has been. The river used to have lush and almost continuous mature riverine gallery forest as far as the eye could see, on both banks. That band of verdant green vegetation really stood out in winter.

I know that nature is in a state of constant flux, and that floods wreak havoc from time to time, but it sure ain't as pretty no more.

Johan

john222333

Unread postby john222333 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:40 pm

Hi, really interesting posts, we are with you at end of May. Do we have t book drives before arrival?
Thaknks

Lourens
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Lourens » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:52 pm

:D Good afternoon forumites!!

My time in Europe was an unforgettable experience!!! Back at work my busy days started again on Tuesday the 1st of April and on the Morning Walk of the 2nd we walked at Ngotso Weir on the S89.

As I was giving the briefing before departure, we heard Lions roaring on the Western side and suddenly very close a Lionness on the Eastern side of us. After started the walk, making our way into the Lionness' roaring direction and watching the Cape Clawless Otter tracks and Hippo's at the weir, we found the Lionness making her way from out of the bush towards to the gravel road. unfortunately there was a tourist vehicle arriving and we couldn't get a better look at her by the time she got very close to the gravel road. On the walk itself seen many Impalas, Giraffes, Waterbuck and Scrub Hare.

All the administration duties for the rest of the day, but the Sunset Drive with sightings of 3 male Lions would have been better for me, but that is now part of my job as well.

The next morning on the walk South of the Olifants River we found many Giraffes, many Zebras and a few Impalas. The starting stretch along the river delivered some Hippo's, including 2 Hippo bulls giving a go to each other.

On the Afternoon Bikes yesterday, as it always are, a good excercise, it at least gave us a sighting of 3 Buffalo bulls, as we walked down to the river to enjoy the cold Energade drink, while watching the Hippo's lying in their jacuzzi. It was really really hot, but at the end, became cooler.

After yesterday's heat, it is cloudy and windy today, with some rain expected tomorrow. This morning on the Morning Bikes we haven't seen much, other than Impalas, Hippo's and a few Scrub Hares, but did find 3 Lionnesses at the 9 Km Junction, making our way to the starting point of the Trail. We currently only have 1 Bike trail route, for extra information...

More to come in the following days... :D

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:00 pm

Welcome back Lourens, glad you had a fantastic Europe trip.

We were sorry to have missed you when in Olifants with Crested Val on the 28 Feb and 1st March.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)

Unread postby anne-marie » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:11 pm

welcome back Lourens... ready to "hear" your adventures :popcorn:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

planing KTP janv/fev.2016

Lourens
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Lourens » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:48 pm

:D Hallo to everyone!!

On Saturday the 5th of April I did the Morning Drive and went out on the tar road, crossed the highlevel water bridge, turned left on the S89, and came back on the No entry powerline road.

We saw all the general game (Zebras, Giraffes, Impalas, Blue Wildebeests, Kudu's) and some Hippo's, Crocodiles, Baboons, Vervet Monkeys. I did forgot to mention that on the previous day's Mountain Bike trail we found an Impala with her new born lamb!!!
Just showing that nature doesn't always read the text books.

The Olifants River Backpack Trail season started again, and I did the pick up on Saturday as well.

Sunday morning Dennis and I went out for the bike trail again, and didn't see much, once again, but the cycling is always good excercise.

Sunday evening on the Balule Night Drive, we once again only saw the general animals, but on the High level bridge we found a Verraux's Eagle Owl.

Monday morning on the River Walk seen Waterbuck, Crocodile, Hippo's and lots of smaller things, which makes the walks very special.

Last night on the Sunset Drive I think I saw all the Giraffes in the area, including the other general game, and 4 herds of Elephants.

This morning on the way to the walking area, we found a male Lion walking towards Olifants, about 8 km's from the camp on the tar road. On the walk only Impalas, and on the way back a Leopard about 3 km's from the camp.

:D

LindaS

Unread postby LindaS » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:57 am

Welcome back Lourens!

It is really great to be reading your reports again. :thumbs_up:
A smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks

Lourens
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Lourens » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:48 pm

:D Greetings from Olifants.

Our side of the world, the winter is coming, the migratory birds disappeared, the bush becomes more dry, even tempting rain is building up now and then, and getting blown away again, and the sightings are good on the activities.

The Buffalo herds are back in the area, and the many herds of Elephants too.

Thursday morning the 10th of April on the mountain bike trail we found 2 Buffalo Bulls and some Impalas.

That afternoon on the walk we walked from the Olifants High level bridge and had lots of action next to the river, from a Steenbok, trying to hide from us, after he spotted us, but to demonstrate to the guests how scared animals are for people on foot, we approached it, and the Steenbok jumped up and ran away like lightning through the sky.

From there we went down to the river where we found 4 Buffalo Bulls lying in the water, and we were hidden very well behind the bush, that the 1 Buffalo Bull that thought there is something behind the bush, went lying down and sleeping again. While hearing the Baboons calling we spotted them and a herd of Elephants on the Southern side of the River. The sunset was beautiful as we made our way back to the vehicle.

Friday the 11th of April on the Morning Walk it was a Lion morning. We found our 3 Male Lions 4 km's from the camp and at Goed Gegun on the Timbavati road where we did the walk, we found a Giant Eagle Owl in the Leadwood Tree where we stopped the vehicle and as we were busy doing the briefing, Lions started roaring all over the place, and not long after we started walking found the 2 Male Lions, and with the rest of the pride roaring, the 2 male Lions spotted us and made a disappearance very quickly. We found some Zebras and many Impalas on the rest of the walk, and enjoyed the roar from the rest of the pride for the next hour.

Back at camp went out on River Walk and seen the usual Hippo's and Waterbuck.

that afternoon went out on Afternoon Bikes and it was a nice warm afternoon, and as expected we found Elephant herds on the bikes, but didn't expect to bump into a herd very close to us and a Buffalo, that jumped up right next to us, luckily got out of his way just in time, as he ran over the road behind us.
On the way back to the car, we found another 2 herds of Elephants on either sides of the road and had to take the risk to push bikes through between the 2 herds. Luckily the wind and distance between the 2 herds were in our favour, and luckily got to the vehicle safely and before it was pitch black dark.

The next day I went to assist with a Tree survey research, and was nice walking where we normally walk on the Olifants River Backpack Trail, but damn, don't know how these Researchers decided on making the survey sample up and down very steep slopes and valleys.

From Monday the 14th till Thursday the 17th I was off, and went to do my 1st week of school practicals. 4 more to come...

Sunday afternoon on the Sunset Drive I took the River loop- S92, S91 and had real good sightings of Elephants, Zebras, Giraffes, Warthogs, Waterbuck and as we got to the highlevel bridge we found a herd of Buffaloes. As we made our way back over the bridge we found the Giant Eagle Owl. :D

Lourens
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Lourens » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:09 pm

:D Monday morning on the mountain bike trail, I took some nice photo's, but we haven't seen much animals, but lots of tracks and birds.

That evening I went as Bush Braai security and enjoyed relaxing along the Olifants River,after the bush braai spot was set up, and while waiting for the guests.

The next morning on the Mountain bikes we seen Impalas, Giraffes, Hippo's, Crocodile and also got some more nice pictures on the bikes.

On the Night Drive from Balule on this Tuesday the 22nd we went up the S90, turned onto the S89 and made our way back with the no entry road along the river. We found the Hyeanas, being back at their old den about 2 km's from Balule and some Giraffes and Impalas in between. Close to the end of the S89 and the junction to the tar road we found 4 male Lions walking up the road. We followed them until they went sleeping next to the road, and after leaving them found another male lion close to the higlevel water bridge, roaring and making his way up towards the other 4 males. After viewing the Giant Eagle Owls and Spotted Hyeanas on the bridge we drove back to Balule and seen general game and many Hippo's.

:D

MATTHYS

Unread postby MATTHYS » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:14 pm

Doing the mountain bike trail must be a wonderful experience, Lourens :D as long as one does not have to do the survey track :lol: !
aquila non capit muscas

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”