Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1507 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 101  Next
 Post subject: Re: Birding school for ducklings.
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:04 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Do the next one....I just got "full house" :dance: :dance: :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:26 am 

Well done, Micetta, although I wouldn't have expected anything less from you!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:28 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Pawps wrote:

Exactly! Congratulations Micetta! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:50 am 

Thank you Hilda :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:34 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Comberton near Cambridge UK ... Looked and Booked Next trip to SanParks
Well done Micetta! :clap:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:44 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Pawps wrote:

What will you be saying when I get 5/10 :hmz: :slap: :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:22 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well done all :clap: 9/10 plus the BB please with myself :D

7-11 Satara
12-15 Olifants
16-19 Lower Sabie
20-22 Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:01 am 

Micetta, that's just not possible!

Meanwhile a full house for yours truly :D :D !

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:40 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Pawps wrote:

Meanwhile a full house for yours truly :D :D !
Well done, Pawps, although I wouldn't have expected anything less from you!! :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:08 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
You're all doing just great! Keep up the good work! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

barryels wrote:
I personally want to thank imax who gave me permission to use his stunning array of bird photos for my challenges :clap: . This enable us to keep the duckling challenges alive :thumbs_up: .

My pleasure Barry. Nice to see some photos I have forgotten that I had taken. :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Comberton near Cambridge UK ... Looked and Booked Next trip to SanParks
8/10 but not the BB in#39 :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:49 pm 

8/10 plus the BB :thumbs_up: . Not bad at all

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:31 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2012)
Here are the results of Duck 39

8 'mites participated this week. Thanks for that :thumbs_up: . Might get better after the school hollidays in SA :hmz: .

#1 Cardinal Woodpecker [ 7 ] Ad male: Forehead to mid-crown medium brown, hind crown and nape red; malar stripe blackish-brown. Lores, supercilium, ear coverts and throat white to greyish white, sparsely and finely streaked dark brown behind eye, on ear coverts and throat. Upper parts barred with alternating bands of blackish brown and white; tinged yellow or olive on rump and upper tail coverts. Tail brown with yellowish barring; shafts golden yellow. Underparts greyish white, thickly and densely streaked brownish black, tending to bars on lower flanks. Legs and feet greyish black.

#2 Brown-crowned Tchagra [ 6 ] Ad: Forehead, crown and nape brown. Supercilium white, bordered above by thin black line (diagnostic). Lores black, colour extending as eye stripe well behind eye. Sides of face and ear coverts brown. Back tawny brown. Rump and upper tail coverts greyish brown. Tail black, rectrices with broad white tips, width increasing outwards. Chin whitish buff. Throat to belly pale tawny, breast and flanks tinged greyish. Bill black. Eyes brown or purple-brown, with pale inner rim. Legs and feet grey.

#3 Coqui Francolin Male [ 8 ] Ad male: Head plain mustard yellow, crown dark chestnut. Lower neck, mantle and upper breast densely barred black and white. Remainder of upper parts mostly brown, feathers with white to buff central streak and buff transverse barring, together forming criss-cross pattern; some irregularly blotched black. Tail orange-buff, conspicuous in flight but at rest largely obscured by long, barred upper tail coverts. Lower breast and belly pale cream, barred black, bars forming series of chevrons. Bill grey with yellow base. Eyes reddish brown. Legs rich yellow, with moderate tarsal spurs.

#4 White-bellied Sunbird [ 8 ] Ad male br: Head, neck, mantle, lesser and median wing coverts, back and rump iridescent green, reflecting bluish at some angles; upper tail coverts more blue-green. Tail dull blackish, with faint blue-green gloss; Chin and upper throat iridescent royal blue, merging into bright green lower throat and upper breast, bordered below by narrow band of iridescent purple and below that an uneven dull black band, broadening on sides of breast. Belly, flanks and undertail coverts usually whitish, but some males have yellow belly patch, or entire belly pale yellow or darker grey. Eyes dark brown. Legs and feet black.

#5 Fairy Flycatcher [ 7 ] Ad: Crown to rump uniform dark, soft, blue-grey, very subtly tinged olive42. Lores, ear coverts and cheeks black (forming mask); bordered above by narrow white supercilia that meet on frons, and below by white malar stripe. Narrow white line ca 3 mm long borders lower eyelid. Rump appears white when flank plumes overlie rump feathers. Upper tail coverts bluish black. Tail glossy black. Belly whitish, centre of belly creamy white, feathers with striking pink bases, not always clearly visible. Vent and undertail coverts whitish. Bill black, slender; rictal bristles present. Eyes dark sepia-brown. Legs and feet black.

#6 Pearl-spotted Owlet [ 7 ] Ad: Facial disc off-white. Upper parts cinnamon-brown, spotted white. Below white, streaked brown. Tail and flight feathers brown, with large white spots forming bars in flight. Bill and cere pale greenish yellow. Eyes yellow. Legs feathered white; feet yellow-brown

#7 Red-winged Starling [ 8 ] Ad male: Uniform glossy black, with inky blue sheen. Primaries reddish brown, with black tips, forming prominent red-brown patch in wing in flight. Russet edges of primaries visible at leading edge of folded wing. Bill black. Eyes dark red. Legs and feet black.

#8 African Pied Wagtail [ 8 ] Ad male br: Upper parts black, rump washed grey; lateral tail coverts tipped white. Face black, with broad white supercilium and small white patch on each side of neck. Tail black, with outer 2 rectrices white. Throat and malar region white, contrasting with black gorget across upper breast (broadest in centre); remainder of underparts white, flanks washed grey. Bill black. Eyes dark brown; narrow white crescent below eye. Legs and feet black. Folded wing predominantly white.

#9 White-eared Barbet [ 8 ] Ad: Dark brown to black, with distinctive and conspicuous broad white stripe extending behind eyes and down the sides of the neck. Wings and upper back lighter brown than crown and lower back. Feathers of lower breast tinged white. Belly white. Bill black, with a ridge on the base of the upper mandible. Legs and feet blackish grey. Eyes and bare skin around eyes black.

#10 Scarlet-chested Sunbird [ 5 ] Ad male: Mostly dark, velvety blackish brown, wearing to brownish black. Crown and chin glossy emerald green; throat and breast bright scarlet, feathers with subterminal iridescent violet-blue bars. Bill and gape black. Eyes dark brown. Legs and feet black. Ad female: Upper parts and sides of face dark olive-brown. Supercilium off-white, extending backwards from just above or behind eye. Upper wings dark brown, flight feathers edged olive-brown. Tertials and greater coverts dark brown, edged pale brown. Primary coverts dark brown, outer webs edged whitish. Alula and outermost lesser coverts fringed whitish. Axillaries and underwing coverts olive-yellow, latter with dark brown bases. Chin and throat dark brown, feathers broadly edged pale brown. Remainder of underparts off-white to yellowish, mottled and streaked dark brown. Imm male: As ad female, but assumes red throat and breast during first moult. Attains full ad plumage at 11-14 mo. Gape whitish or yellowish, darkening to orange, brown and finally black.

BB Sombre Greenbul [ 7 ] Ad: Upper parts, incl wings, dark olive green. Underparts uniform olive-grey, belly slightly paler (a few feathers with pale yellow tips). Bill black to slaty. Eyes white to pale yellow. Legs and feet dark olive-brown, grey or black

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:48 am 

Thank you Barryels 9/10 plus bb for me: :congrats: to every one

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1507 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 101  Next