- Parks (A - Z)
- Addo Elephant National Park
- Agulhas National Park
- Augrabies Falls National Park
- Bontebok National Park
- Camdeboo National Park
- Garden Route (Tsitsikamma, Knysna, Wilderness) National Park
- Golden Gate Highlands National Park
- Karoo National Park
- Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
- Kruger National Park
- Mapungubwe National Park
- Marakele National Park
- Mokala National Park
- Mountain Zebra National Park
- Namaqua National Park
- Table Mountain National Park
- Tankwa Karoo National Park
- West Coast National Park
- |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld Transfrontier Park
- Wild Card
- Contact Us
Agulhas National Park
If you would like to make bookings or view availability for Golden Gate Hotel and Chalets, please click on the 'Make Reservation' button.
You can find more information on the booking process by clicking on 'More Info'.
Various new tourism overnight products has been developed at Agulhas National Park and is now available for guests to book.
These products were funded by the Infrastructure Development Programme (IDP) to the value of approximately R22 million. Agulhas National Park has the very unique characteristic of being the southernmost point on the African continent and also the point where the Indian Ocean meets the Atlantic. It further protects a very unique landscape of pristine coastline, coastal wetlands and the endangered lowland fynbos. The park is currently in the consolidation phase and spans four different components, totaling 21000 hectares.
- Lagoon House
- Agulhas Rest Camp
- Rhenosterkop Guest Cottages
- Rietfontein Guest Cottages
- Bergplaas Guest House
- General accommodation information
This historic house, located within the greater rest camp area, has been carefully restored and is situated on a peninsula to the west of the Suiderstrand enclave (of private residents) and with the sea comprising about three-quarters (270º) of the view from this house, it has an awesome location.
This house and farm used to belong to PK Albertyn who bought it from Mike van Breda in 1898 and in the same year a cottage was built for Mrs Albertyn as a birthday gift. The small bay to the west of the house reminded her of a book she had read, called the ‘Blue Lagoon’ and she called the property ‘The Lagoon’. When the children got married rooms were added on both sides of the original cottage. This portion of the park was incorporated into Agulhas National Park in 2001.
The facility has four bedrooms, of which two have separate external entrances and own en-suite bathroom (shower & toilet) and the other two are in the house with a single bathroom (bath, shower & toilet). There is also a kitchen and living area in the house.
This small camp is located 10,3km from the Cape Agulhas Lighthouse. The camp was placed and designed to meet high environmental standards and according to the ‘touch-the-earth-lightly’ principles by which, inter alia, development was limited to disturbed sites.
Accommodation comprises four two-bed and four four-bed self-catering chalets. The four bed units comprise two separate bedrooms each with own bathroom (shower and toilet) en-suite.
Follow the links for more information, pictures and availability:
- Chalet 2-Bed (CH2)
- Chalet 2-Bed (CH2D)
- Chalet 2-Bed (CH2Z)
- Chalets 4-Bed (FCH4)
- Chalet 4-Bed (FCH4D)
- Chalet 4-Bed (FCH4Z)
These historic cottages lie on one of the oldest farms in the Strandveld and was established in 1742. Matthys (Rostok) Johannes Lourens (Lorenz) received grazing rights here on 21 February 1757 and in 1836 the Cape Government registered the land formally in his name (Matthys Lourens). The farmstead consists of four typical Strandveld buildings built according to the typical vernacular style. The oldest houses probably dates back to the middle of the 18th century while the youngest to 1939/40.
The cottages have been carefully restored for the modern day visitor. The name originates from the skull of a Black Rhino which was found in this area many years ago and is still being preserved in the Springfield Estate museum.
- The facility comprises three separate cottages which can be booked separately, of which two accommodate four guests (two bedrooms with one bathroom) and one two person cottage.
- Energy requirements are provided by solar panels for lighting and gas for cooking, hot water & refrigeration.
The cottages are situated 31km from the Cape Agulhas Lighthouse off the Struisbaai/Elim road. The road is a gravel road of approximately 18 kilometers and even though it is not necessary to have a 4x4, a high clearance vehicle is recommended, especially in the wet season (June to August). It is advisable to contact the park prior to booking to confirm road conditions. Travelling time from the reception office to the farmstead is approximately 45 minutes.
Rietfontein is one of the original and oldest Strandveld farms. ‘Rietfontein aan Zandberg’ was awarded to Petrus Arnoldus Gildenhuyzen as a stock post in the late 1700’s. In 1839 the Cape Government registered the land in the name of Dirk Gysbert van Breda.
The facility lies on the southern slope of Soetanysberg from which the coast can be viewed.
This historic homestead called “Langhuis” (or ‘long house’) was carefully reconstructed after it was destroyed by fire in 2003.
- The homestead comprises of three two-bed separate units with bathroom (toilet & shower) and kitchen facilities.
- There is also a barn with one two-bed unit with bathroom (toilet & shower) and there is also a large adjacent room where group gatherings can be accommodated.
The homestead is situated 63km from the Cape Agulhas Lighthouse off the Struisbaai / Elim road.
Five new CO2 Cottages are available but can only be booked via the park directly on (028) 435 6078.
The units consist of the following:
- 2 x CO2 cottages, each with WC and shower, 2 single beds and kitchen with a gas fridge and 2-plate stove.
- 1 x CO2D cottage, with WC and shower, 1 double bed and kitchen with gas fridge and 2-plate stove.
- 1 x CO2EB cottage, with en-suite WC and shower, 2 single beds and kitchen with gas fridge and 2-plates stove.
- 1 x CO2Z cottage, with WC and shower, 2 single beds and kitchen with gas fridge and 2-plate stove, unit accessible to the mobility challenged
Bergplaas, which is located on the northern foothills of Soetanysberg, was originally a stock post in the 1860’s on the farm Ruigtefontein and the original house was built in the mid 1950’s. In 1979/80 it was completely destroyed by fire and rebuilt in a more modern style that is still evident today. This land was acquired by SANParks in 2000, being the first acquisition for the newly established Agulhas National Park.
The guesthouse offers a relaxing country setting with endless views of the surrounding countryside. Accommodation at the guest house consists of 5 bedrooms. Four rooms have en suite bathrooms either with shower or bath and toilet. One bathroom has been adapted for mobility challenged.
The guest house is situated 36km from the Cape Agulhas Lighthouse off the Struisbaai / Elim road. The access road is a gravel road of approximately 26 kilometers and even though it is not necessary to have a 4x4, a high clearance vehicle is recommended, especially in the wet season (June to August). It is advisable to contact the park prior to booking to confirm road conditions. Travelling time from the reception office to the farmstead is approximately one hour.
- Housekeeping - Prior to your arrival, your chalet is clean and furnished with fresh linens and towels. Daily housekeeping is included except for washing of dishes. Linen will be changed every 2—3 days; towels will be changed every day if so required.
- Inventory - All accommodation is equipped with crockery, cutlery, cooking, utensils, bedding, towels & soap. Each accommodation unit has a braai-area outside.
- Keys – Keys must be returned to reception on check out. Lost and damaged keys will be charged for.
- Complimentary coffee/tea is provided for your first night stay only.
- All accommodation units are self-catering and are equipped with plug points with a 220V electricity supply.
Have a question? Why not ask at the forums?
17°C / 23°C
Sunny with high level clouds