Mild highveld summers with the possibility of thunderstorms in the afternoon and cold winters with occasional snow transforming the park into a white wonderland.
The winter temperatures in Golden Gate can plummet to a mere -9 to -15 degrees C and that snow is a regular occurrence in the park.
Golden Gate primarily falls in a summer rainfall area (Sept to April) and the annual rainfall is approximately 760 mm per year. In very wet years this figure can rise to 1250 mm.
With a public bypass road running through the park day visitors are welcome to drive through the park.
Fuel Stations: Petrol/ Diesel
Vehicle fuel is available in all parks (or is available on the park periphery):
- South African legislation stipulates that fuel stations will accept legitimate petrol/fuel/garage/credit/debit cards or cash as a form of payment for any fuel purchase.
Monday to Sunday 07:00 - 17:30.
- To ensure a safe and joyful trip through our parks, kindly adhere to the Rules and Regulations as stipulated by South African National Parks.
- The use of drones inside (and over) our national parks is strictly prohibited.
Tips and Hints
- Pets are not allowed.
- As outdoor lighting in camps is limited, a torch/headlamp is required when walking outside at night.
- Firearms must be declared and sealed on arrival. Seal will be broken at the reception office upon departure.
- Vehicle repair, medical, post office and police services at Clarens (17 km) or Bethlehem (± 60 km).
- Remember to bring a hat, walking shoes, sun block, camera, binoculars and wildlife reference books.
- Hikers on day and overnight trails must always carry sufficient water.
- Take cool and light clothing for summer and warm clothing for winter.
- Area prone to sudden weather changes.
**Visitors with reserved accommodation who arrive after 17:30 may collect the keys to their accommodation at the Security Office, Glen Reenen Filling Station.**
For enquiries e-mail Golden Gate Highlands National Park or phone us on the following numbers:
- Tel: +27 (0)58 255 1000
- Fax: +27 (0)58 255-0980
Have a question? Why not ask on the forums?
View and download maps.