Please note that heavy dew sometimes occurs at night.
The |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld climate is harsh and dry, with extreme temperatures of up to 53 degrees Celsius having been recorded in mid-summer. Activities should be restricted to early mornings and late afternoons. Nights are cool, but may become chilly during winter. Heavy night-time dew occurs in the park.
Because of the great distance involved in getting to the park, day visitation is not recommended unless some form of accommodation is secured in the area.
Petrol and diesel
Diesel and LRP 95 fuel is available at Sendelingsdrif. Note that Lead Free Petrol is not available. The nearest supply of Unleaded Petrol is at Alexander Bay - 80km.
- Vehicle fuel is available in all parks (or is available on the park periphery)
- Unleaded 95 - available at all times
- 50ppm Diesel - available at all times
- Oil is available at the private shop.
- South African legislation stipulates that fuel stations will accept legitimate petrol/fuel/garage cards or cash as a form of payment for any fuel purchase.
Cellular reception is only available at the park's Reception area or in Sendelingsdrift. Currently Cell C, MTN and Vodacom networks are available in Sendelingsdrift. A Public Phone (Coin Operated) is available at Sendelingsdrif. A satellite phones (if you have available) is also recommended.
Shop and Restaurant
There is currently no ATM facility, shop or restaurant available in the Park. Guests are advised to bring their own supplies that will last for the whole duration of their stay.
- Monday - Friday: 07:30 untill 18:00
- Saturday - Sunday and Public Holidays: 08:00 untill 18:00
Wild Card Information
- Wild Cards are strictly limited to the Republic of South Africa , in terms of our Transfrontier Park agreement.
- A Wild Card may be used in all Wild Card clusters as specified within the registration information.
- A Wild Card is limited to certain parks within the borders of Southern Africa.
- No Wild Cards will be accepted at |Ai-|Ais Hot Springs or Hobas.
- To ensure a safe and joyful trip through our parks, kindly adhere to the Rules and Regulations as stipulated by South African National Parks.
- The use of drones inside (and over) our national parks is strictly prohibited.
Hints & Tips
- Insect Repellent is strongly recommended
- Binoculars and cameras are a must.
- As outdoor lighting in camps is limited, a torch/headlamp is required when walking outside at night.
- Cotton sheets will keep insects at bay.
- Plastic refuse bags are essential as all rubbish must be removed on departure.
- Firewood and kindling may not be collected in the park.
- Gas cookers are recommended due to evening winds.
- Extra spare wheel, tools, spares, enough food and extra water containers are essential.
- Make sure that you always have a good supply of water. Fresh water is available at Sendelingsdrift.
- Do not sleep on the bare ground as the park is ideal scorpion habitat.
- Driving off indicated routes and outside camping sites is a serious offence. It is harmful to the park and dangerous to the visitor.
- Scarves protect against dust and wet towels from extreme heat. Provide clothing for extreme temperatures.
- No pets, generators or outboard motors permitted.
- No quad bikes or motorbikes will be allowed inside the Park.
- Picking of plants, removal of seeds, rocks, crystals or driftwood is an offence. Please help us to preserve the |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld’s wilderness atmosphere.
For enquiries e-mail |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld Transfrontier Park or phone us on the following numbers:
- Park Tel: +27 (0)27 831 1506 (Reception)
Fax: +27 (0)27 831 1175
email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Park Manager
Cell: 072 621 1514
- Duty Manager
Cell: 084 742 9797
Have a question? Why not ask on the forums?
View and download maps.
Did You Know?
Min: 13°C / Max: 29°C