- Parks (A - Z)
- Addo Elephant National Park
- Agulhas National Park
- Augrabies Falls National Park
- Bontebok National Park
- Camdeboo National Park
- Garden Route (Tsitsikamma, Knysna, Wilderness) National Park
- Golden Gate Highlands National Park
- Karoo National Park
- Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
- Kruger National Park
- Mapungubwe National Park
- Marakele National Park
- Mokala National Park
- Mountain Zebra National Park
- Namaqua National Park
- Table Mountain National Park
- Tankwa Karoo National Park
- West Coast National Park
- |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld Transfrontier Park
- Wild Card
- Contact Us
|Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld Transfrontier Park
If you would like to make bookings or view availability for Golden Gate Hotel and Chalets, please click on the 'Make Reservation' button.
You can find more information on the booking process by clicking on 'More Info'.
How to get there
Recommended routes to and from the park
The quickest way to get to the Park from N7 (RSA) and B1 (Namibia) is to turn off at Steinkopf and approach via Port Nolloth and Alexander Bay with only the last 80km being on dirt.
For those wishing to vary their route and get a broader picture of the |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld the road from Vioolsdrift, via Kotzehoop, through spectacular scenery to Eksteenfontein and then on to Sendelingsdrift is one well worth traveling. (If you take this route please respect the interests of the Kotzehoop farmers whose crops are affected by the dust from speeding vehicles.)
- The scenic route via Kuboes, Lekkersing and Eksteenfontein provides an additional dimension of what the region has to offer.
- Another spectacular route, recommended for 4x4 vehicles only, is over the mountain pass via Helskloof Reserve between Eksteenfontein and Vioolsdrift.
- Admission and overnight permits must be obtained at the park office at Sendelingsdrift before entering the park.
- Overnight visitors must arrive before 16:00 to reach camping sites before dark.
- Internal roads are ‘farm tracks’, mainly suited to 4x4 vehicles, but vehicles with high clearances such as kombis and LDV’s do travel in the park. Sedan vehicles are not permitted.
- Due to deep-sanded riverbeds and rough mountain passes, driving in convoy is recommended.
- Single vehicles must sign an agreement to report back to park headquarters on departure.
- The old pont, that was last in service in 1988, when South West Africa (now Namibia) was still governed by South Africa, has been restored and offers an unusual and convenient way of crossing the Garib (Orange) River that separates the two countries. Before the opening of this border a very inconvenient 485km detour and about 4 hours drive had to be undertaken to cross from one side of the Park to the other.
- Driving in the park at night is not permitted.
- 1 October to 30 April: 07:00 – 19:00
- 1 May to 30 September: 07:00 – 18:00
|Turn-off to Gannakouriep||S 28 18.454||E 17 06.202|
|Turn-off to Hakkiesdoring||S 28 23.682||E 17 10.308|
|Turn-off to Kokerboomkloof||S 28 19.768||E 17 16.758|
|Turn-off to Sendelingsdrift||S 28 27.939||E 16 52.273|
|Turn-off to Stofbakkies||S 28 29.128||E 16 49.687|
|Aloe Pearsonii||S 28 19.952||E 16 59.430|
|Basterkokerboom||S 28 25.156||E 16 53.052|
|De Hoop||S 28 11.021||E 17 10.682|
|Gannakouriep Hakkiesdoring fork||S 28 22.014||E 17 09.987|
|Gannakouriep Camp||S 28 23.247||E 17 09.586|
|Grasdrif ruins||S 28 20.137||E 17 22.839|
|Hakkiesdoring||S 28 23.621||E 17 10.148|
|Halfmensbome||S 28 08.335||E 16 58.973|
|Hand of God||S 28 07.318||E 17 00.579|
|Helskloof gate||S 28 17.958||E 16 57.328|
|Kodas Piek||S 28.22738||E 16.99216|
|Koerdegab Pass||S 28 16.516||E 17 02.612|
|Kokerboom||S 28 20.196||E 17 14.982|
|Kokerboomkloof camping area||S 28 18.434||E 17 17.476|
|Kuboes||S 28 26.764||E 16 59.522|
|Kubus Camp and Chalets||S 28 26.394||E 16 59.678|
|Lekkersing turn-off||S 28 27.149||E 16 56.869|
|Penkop Pass or Akkedis Pass||S 28 09.832||E 17 01.438|
|Potjiespram Camp||S 28 04.482||E 16 57.789|
|R1||S 28 06.819||E 16 56.101|
|R10||S 28 20.827||E 17 19.474|
|R11||S 28 14.717||E 17 12.095|
|R12||S 28 15.253||E 17 13.244|
|R13||S 28 13.840||E 17 03.307|
|R14||S 28 17.591||E 17 01.875|
|R15||S 28 16.770||E 16 59.682|
|R17||S 28 20.730||E 17 09.890|
|R18||S 28 23.670||E 17 09.256|
|R2||S 28 07.407||E 17 00.569|
|R3||S 28 11.582||E 17 03.211|
|R4||S 28 12.736||E 17 05.541|
|R5||S 28 11.115||E 17 07.490|
|R6||S 28 15.851||E 17 08.199|
|R7||S 28 18.336||E 17 07.423|
|R8||S 28 19.480||E 17 11.202|
|R9||S 28 21.923||E 17 14.082|
|Richtersberg Camp||S 28 15.056||E 17 12.793|
|Richtersveld Park Entrance||S 28 17.494||E 16 56.382|
|Sendelingsdrift||S 28 07.514||E 16 53.496|
|Springbokvlakte||S 28 19.845||E 17 15.867|
Distances to the park (Sendelingsdrif)
Cape Town - 875km
Upington - 720km
Johannesburg - 1 595km
Durban - 1 992km
Springbok - 320km
Port Nolloth - 180km
Alexander Bay - 90km
Distances in the park
- Sendelingsdrif – Helskloof Entry Gate - 22km (25 min)
- Helskloof Gate-Kokerboomkloof - 78.3km
- Helskloof Gate-Richtersberg - 68.5km
- Helskloof Gate- De Hoop - 53.7km
- Richtersberg – De Hoop - 8.1km (Deep sand and sharp rocks)
- Sendelingsdrif-Potjiespram - 9km
- Sendelingsdrif-De Hoop - 38.2kmSendelingsdrif / Richtersberg / Kokerboomkloof / Helskloof / Sendelingsdrift - 203km (9 hrs)
The Sendelingsdrif RSA / Namibia Borderpost and Pont
More information will be available soon.
Have a question? Why not ask at the forums?
20°C / 24°C
Sunny with high level clouds