- Parks (A - Z)
- Addo Elephant National Park
- Agulhas National Park
- Augrabies Falls National Park
- Bontebok National Park
- Camdeboo National Park
- Garden Route (Tsitsikamma, Knysna, Wilderness) National Park
- Golden Gate Highlands National Park
- Karoo National Park
- Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
- Kruger National Park
- Mapungubwe National Park
- Marakele National Park
- Mokala National Park
- Mountain Zebra National Park
- Namaqua National Park
- Table Mountain National Park
- Tankwa Karoo National Park
- West Coast National Park
- |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld Transfrontier Park
- Wild Card
- Contact Us
Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
If you would like to make bookings or view availability for Golden Gate Hotel and Chalets, please click on the 'Make Reservation' button.
You can find more information on the booking process by clicking on 'More Info'.
- Construction work will commence at Nossob during January 2015 with the development of new riverfront chalets and luxury camping sites as well as the replacement of the camping site ablution facility. According to planning the construction work will take place over a period of 14 months.
- The new camping site ablution facility at Mata Mata was placed in operation and the old ablution facility will soon be demolished.
- There is currently construction work underway at Mata-Mata Rest Camp due to the building of additional units. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Where the red dunes and scrub fade into infinity and herds of gemsbok, springbok, eland and blue wildebeest follow the seasons, where imposing camel thorn trees provide shade for huge black-mane lions and vantage points for leopard and many raptors... this is the Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park.
An amalgamation of the Kalahari Gemsbok National Park in South Africa (proclaimed in 1931)and the Gemsbok National Park in Botswana, the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park comprises an area of over 3,6 million hectares – one of very few conservation areas of this magnitude left in the world.
Red sand dunes, sparse vegetation and the dry riverbeds of the Nossob and Auob show antelope and predator species off to spectacular advantage and provide excellent photographic opportunities. Kgalagadi is also a haven for birders, especially those interested in birds of prey.
5 things to seek
- Gemsbok – these large striking desert antelope are the emblem of the park.
- Suricate (Meerkat) – these hyperactive little omnivores have a wonderfully intricate family structure.
- Black-maned Kalahari Lions – Physically impressive, they are the kings of the Kalahari Desert. Article: Lions of the Kgalagadi by Lara Raubenheimer
- Sociable weavers – the busy little birds construct huge communal nests.
- Pygmy falcons – the park is famous for its birds of prey. This is the smallest falcon in Africa and is often seen around Sociable Weaver colonies preying on the birds.
- No foreign currencies will be accepted in Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park (KTP) on the South African side, only ZAR (South African Rand) will be accepted within the KTP.
- Kindly note that the roads in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park are not sedan friendly, although the roads are maintained on a monthly basis, sedan vehicles find it difficult to cope with the conditions. Vehicles which will be using any of the 4x4 routes in the park must note that the recommended ground clearance should be 190mm, to make the drive more enjoyable.
- Tourists wanting to exit the park other than the point of entry must kindly note that all immigration controls must be done at Twee Rivieren / Two Rivers, and that a 2 night stay in the park is compulsory.
- No children under the age of 12 is allowed at any of the park’s Wilderness camps.
- Please also note that no firearms or wood will be cleared via the Mata Mata border control. Individuals wishing to clear firearms or wood should do so via Rietfontein border control.
Read about Our Camps
Still available next weekend!
- 1 bedroom with 2 single beds
- Barbeque Facilities
- Base rate: R775
- 1 bedroom with 2 single beds
- 4x4 access only, no trailers allowed
- Barbeque facilities on deck
- Base rate: R1210
24th October 2014
17th July 2013
28th February 2013
21st December 2012
Posted by: Tom124 (29th September 2013)
Posted by: kyknetta (13th September 2013)
Posted by: inado (8th September 2013)
Have a question? Why not ask at the forums?
17°C / 36°C
Sunny with high level clouds