Road resurfacing will be taking place on the main tourist road that starts at Lilydale Lodge and ends at Mosu gate, from 23 March 2015 to March 2016. The road will be open for guests to drive on throughout the construction period but possible stop-and-go waiting periods will be enforced while construction is ongoing.
Restaurant Operating Times
Please view the Restaurant Operating Times information for Mosu Restaurant and Lilydale Rest Camp Restaurant.
"Where Endangered Species Roam..."
Mokala is SANParks’ newest park. It is situated approximately 70km south-southwest of Kimberley, and west of the N12 freeway to Cape Town. Nestled in the hills, Mokala's landscape boasts a variety of koppieveld (hills) and large open plains.
The isolated dolerite hills give the place a calming feeling of seclusion. A big surprise
awaits you when you pass through the hills and are confronted by the large open sandy
plains towards the north and west of the Park. Drainage lines from the hills form little
tributaries that run into the plains and drain into the Riet River.
Mokala is a Setswana name for a Camel Thorn (Kameeldoring) These trees occur in dry woodland and arid, sandy areas and are one of the major tree species of the semi-desert regions of Southern Africa. This immensely important species has a great range over the Northern Cape and varies from a small, spiny shrub barely 2m high, to a tree up to 16m tall with a wide, spreading crown.
The Camel Thorn is an incredible resource to both wildlife and humans who survive in often harsh conditions characteristic of this area. Traditionally, the gum and bark have been used by local tribes to treat coughs, colds and nosebleeds. Some even use the roasted seeds as a coffee substitute.
Things to Seek
- Roan antelope
- Black Wildebeest
- White Backed Vulture
- Indigenous plant species
Contact the Park
- Tel: (053) 204 8000 - Mosu Lodge (Mokala's Main Camp)
- Tel: (053) 204 8300 - Lilydale Rest Camp
- Fax: (053) 204 0176
Stay : 21 May 2015 - 27 May 2015
FROM R669WAS R1115
40% discount to online bookings at Narina Bush Camp. Tariffs shown for 4 guests sharing. Terms & Conditions apply.
Stay : 10 May 2015 - 11 Jun 2015
FROM R627WAS R895
30% discount on Shingwedzi's BG2-bungalows. Rates shown for 2 guests sharing. Terms & Conditions apply.
- 1 bathroom with WC,shower,hand basin
- 1 bedroom with 2 singles beds can make double bed
- Ceiling Fan
- Breakfast nook overlooking watering hole
- Built in breakfast nook
- Extra vehicles pay additional rate
- Kitchen with washing up area
- 3 single beds
- Hotplate and Fridge
- No Smoking
- A bush concert with Chris Chameleon at Mokala National Park - 23rd April 2015
- Lovelife Ground Breakers integrate conservation values in training - 12th December 2014
- Mokala Flash Floods - 14th November 2014
- Media Release: Mokala National Park expands - 8th September 2013
- 40% discount at Lilydale Rest Camp in Mokala National Park - 22nd July 2013
Have a question? Why not ask on the forums?