Latest update on the Kruger National Park flood damage
The latest update on the Kruger National Park flood damage, as at 14:00 on 19 April 2013.
Changes to previous update:
- The Nyala Drive (S64) along the Luvuvhu River, west of the high level bridge, has been reopened.
- Balule - Access via Balule Causeway still closed. Use S89 & S90.
- Berg- en- Dal
- Crocodile Bridge
- Lower Sabie
- Punda Maria
- Sable Dam Hide
- Shipindane Hide
- Shingwedzi - Severely flooded - Camp and Day Visitors area out of bounds for public. Camping to be reopened by 15 June 2013, B-circle units (EH3, BD2, BD2Z & BG2) gradually reopened by end of June 2013 and remainder of camp to open by 31 August 2013.
- Sirheni - Flood damage. 5 units to be reopened by 26 April 2013 and remaining 10 units by 31 May 2013.
Picnic Spots / Viewpoints:
- Afsaal - Open
- Albasini Ruins - Open
- Babalala - Open
- Bobbejaan Krans - Open (Orpen to Satara road breached at S24.404923 E31.549712)
- Crooks Corner - Closed (Major flood damage and inaccessible)
- Eileen Orpen Memorial - Open
- Gardenia Hide - Open
- Kanniedood Hide - Closed (Inaccessible)
- Lake Panic Hide - Open
- Makhadzi - Open
- Masorini - Open
- Matambeni Hide - Open
- Mathekeyane - Open
- Mlondozi - Open
- Mooiplaas - Open
- Muzandzeni - Open
- Nhlanguleni - Open
- Nkuhlu - Open
- Nkumbe - Open
- Nthandanyathi Hide - Open
- Nwamanzi - Open
- Nwanetsi - Open
- Nyawutsi Hide - Closed (Roads closed)
- Olifants River on S44 - Open
- Orpen Dam - Open (Accessible from H10 only Tshokwane Lower Sabie tar road)
- Pafuri Picnic Spot - Closed (Major flood damage and inaccessible). Scheduled to reopen 31 May 2013.
- Paul Kruger Tablets - Open
- Pioneer Hide - Open
- Rabelais Museum - Open
- Ratel Pan Hide - Open
- Redrocks - Open
- Sable Dam - Open
- Shibyatsangela - Closed (Roads closed)
- Shipandani Hide - Open
- Stevenson-Hamilton Memorial - Open
- Sweni Hide - Open
- Timbavati - Open
- Tshanga - Open
- Tshokwane - Open
Access Roads Inside the Park:
All tarred roads except the following, are open:
- H1-1 (Skukuza to Pretoriuskop) breach near Transport Dam (Temporary detour is available).
- S63(Pafuri Port of Entry Road).
- H7 (Orpen to Satara) major breach at S24.404923 E31.549712 (S106 to be used as alternative by light vehicles (under 4 tons) only).
All gravel roads open, except:
- S3 (Albasini Road) (Open from S1 to H1-1; closed from H11 to S1)
- S21 (Nwatimhiri Road) (Expected opening on 30 April 2013)
- S32 (Orpen Dam Loop) (Only open from H10 to Orpen Dam)
- S33 (Vutomi Road)
- S34 (Munywini Road)
- S50 (Shawu Road)(Open from south to S143 turnoff)
- S57 (Sirheni Road)
- S63 (Luvuvhu Road) (northern riverside section closed)
- S90 (Old Main Road) (Open from south until S89 turnoff – Balule causeway still inaccessible)
- S134 (Shingwedzi Round Road)
- S135 (Shingwedzi Causeway Loop)
- Crocodile Bridge
- Giriyondo - 4x4 vehicles only
- Orpen (Orpen to Satara road breached at S24.404923 E31.549712 light vehicles only.)
- Punda Maria
- Pafuri Port of Entry - Severe flooding. It will possibly be reopened by 30 June 2013.
Please keep in mind that, due to heavy rainfall, the status of roads can change without notice. Guests are urged to take special caution when travelling in heavy rain and not to cross submerged roads or flooded causeways and bridges.
Guest are hereby notified that opening or travelling on a road that has been closed constitutes an offence and such offenders can be fined.
Guests are kindly urged to use water sparingly as camps/ gates and picnic spots in many areas operate on emergency pumps and boreholes with limited capacity.
Media enquiries: Reynold Thakhuli 073 373 4999 / Ike Phaahla 083 673 6974
Browse accommodation and activities availability, and book online via our secure payment system and get 5% discount (excludes activities)
- Orpen Cam 05/10/2015
Posted by: melph68 on 5th October 2015
- Satara Cam 05/10/2015
Posted by: vinkie on 5th October 2015
- Seeking the brightest stars of Africa
Posted by: DinkyBird on 4th October 2015