- Parks (A - Z)
- Addo Elephant National Park
- Agulhas National Park
- Augrabies Falls National Park
- Bontebok National Park
- Camdeboo National Park
- Garden Route (Tsitsikamma, Knysna, Wilderness) National Park
- Golden Gate Highlands National Park
- Karoo National Park
- Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
- Kruger National Park
- Mapungubwe National Park
- Marakele National Park
- Mokala National Park
- Mountain Zebra National Park
- Namaqua National Park
- Table Mountain National Park
- Tankwa Karoo National Park
- West Coast National Park
- |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld Transfrontier Park
- Wild Card
- Contact Us
If you would like to make bookings or view availability for Golden Gate Hotel and Chalets, please click on the 'Make Reservation' button.
You can find more information on the booking process by clicking on 'More Info'.
Researcher's Logistical Support
Important Protocols for Researchers Working in SANParks
Please see the details below of who you should contact to make arrangements You may also click on the links provided below to download the SANParks proposal procedure and format and past projects reports, the final report format and the Data and Metadata requirements.
Please send the following information to Patricia Khoza at email@example.com a few days before arrival to enable arrangement of a gate permit:
- Date of entry
- Gate of entry
- Car registration number
- Number of people
- An approval letter received after the agreement has been signed by both parties will serve as an entry permit in the park.
- There is limited research accommodation in these camps, bookings should be made timeously.
- Phalaborwa (max. 6 people). Click here for details on how to make a reservation and available facilities at Phalaborwa Research House.
- Shingwedzi (max. 12 in guest rooms, and 14 in permanent tents). Click here for details on how to make a reservation and the available facilities at Shingwedzi Research Camp.
- Skukuza (max. 38 in huts and 12 camping). Click here for details on how to make a reservation and the available facilities at Skukuza Research Camp.
- An approval letter received after the agreement has been signed by both parties will serve as an entry permit into the park.
- Tourist accommodation must be booked via central Reservations for all other parks.
Game Guard use in the Kruger National Park
All researchers who are working outside their vehicles and outside of the tourist camp area must be accompanied by a trained, armed Game Guard. Game Guards should not be used as field assistants, as this will jeopardize their function to guard you. If you intend using a Game Guard, please arrange well in advance (at least 2 weeks).
- Costs (as of 1 April 2013) R150 - daily fee
An additional overtime/weekend hourly fee is also applicable should the guard work overtime or on weekends:
- R40 – per hour overtime from Monday to Saturday
- R55 – per hour overtime on Sundays and Public holidays
- If the Game Guard accompanying you needs to spend a night outside Skukuza, Phalaborwa or Shingwedzi, please ask Sharon or Rheinhardt for the costs involved.
- Payments - Please ask Rheinhardt Scholtz or Sharon Thompson to assist with invoices and account details for EFT payments.
Section rangers in the Kruger National Park
- Each part of KNP has a section ranger.
- Download the KNP sections map.
- List of KNP section rangers
- The local section ranger has to be informed of your research in his area, i.e. what you will be doing, when and where you will be in the area. Your KNP liaison will inform the section ranger, however, each researcher must phone (preferably on theri cell phone after 19:00 p.m.) the specific section ranger at least a day before they do fieldwork in that area.
- Park Managers: Researchers working outside KNP need to contact park managers (see below) at least two weeks in advance to notify them of their intention to do fieldwork in their park.
- All researchers must fill in the ranger notification form and send it to their SANParks liaison at least a week before their fieldwork.
- Ranger notification form
- All researchers working in KNP require decals.
- To ensure speedy application please ensure that you fax all the documents specified in the form including a completed application form to +27 (0) 13 7354055. If you are using a University car or hired vehicle you do not have to have vehicle registration documents, but for all personal vehicles it is required.
- Koedoekop Decals Application Form
- Please copy your coordinator in all your SANParks correspondence.
Final dates for submission of research projects for 2014:
|Proposal Deadlines||Meeting Date|
|31 January||25 February|
|4 April||13 May|
|6 June||1 July|
|19 September||14 October|
|7 November||2 December|
Research Project Application
- Rheinhardt Scholtz (Scientific Liaison, Skukuza): firstname.lastname@example.org; +27 (0) 13 7354235
- Patricia Khoza (Scientific Services, Skukuza): email@example.com; +27 (0) 13 7354234
- Sharon Thompson (Scientific Services, Phalaborwa): firstname.lastname@example.org; +27 (0) 13 7353545
Project Reports and Data and Metadata requirements
Please see links below to download the past projects reports, the final report format and the Data and Metadata requirements:
- Project Reports 2008
- Project Reports 2007
- Project Reports 2006
- Project Reports 2005
- Project Reports 2004
- Project Reports 2003
- Final Research Report Format
- Data and Metadata Requirements
Project reports and project proposals need to be submitted to Rheinhardt Scholtz. Data and metadata need to be submitted to Judith.email@example.com and Cc'd. to firstname.lastname@example.org. If your data does not fit in any of the above categories please contact Judith.email@example.com for help.