Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Table Mountain - Safety and Security
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well Graham, my mother lives at Herne Hill and my brother lives right in Dulwich Village.

I am very sorry to read you were mugged at knife point in Hyde Park and hope you reported it to the Park Police.

Crime is a problem everywhere for sure.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I live near your brother and mother! I reported it. Got away unscathed as had a load of coins in my coat pocket which I flung at his feet before running away. He pulled a knife asking for my phone. Could have been a lot worse. I should have listened to him and not risked it. I was cutting through Hyde Park in the dark in winter - about 7pm.

I am sure you will agree though that Tim Robinson can have a lovely time hiking in the areas I recommended?

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Graham_5000 wrote:
I live near your brother and mother! I reported it. Got away unscathed as had a load of coins in my coat pocket which I flung at his feet before running away. He pulled a knife asking for my phone. Could have been a lot worse. I should have listened to him and not risked it. I was cutting through Hyde Park in the dark in winter - about 7pm.

I am sure you will agree though that Tim Robinson can have a lovely time hiking in the areas I recommended?

I am not a hiker Graham, so would not advise anyone on the safety of hiking in any areas of the Cape. Although, last time I was there it was beautiful walking around the Bay with my host.

It may not have been the best idea for you to walk through a park at night although, many do it and I used to cut through St James' Park at night when I worked in the area.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Table Mountain National Park's Visitor Safety Team ready and prepared for the festive season: http://www.sanparks.org/about/news/default.php?id=55375

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:10 pm 
Guru
Guru

Weather conditions favour fires in Table Mountain National Park

The month of November was particularly dry and windy and TMNP fire officials therefore expect a busy fire season in the months ahead. The expected adverse weather conditions will lead to an increase of fire flare-ups during this coming season.

The Park’s preparation for the 2012/13 fire season was severely tested over the past two days with four fires across the peninsula: one in Newlands Forest on Tuesday 4 December, and two on Wednesday 5 December – the first between Deer Park Drive and Molteno Road on the lower slopes of Table Mountain in the early hours of the morning and the second on Ou Kaapse Weg around midday. A fourth fire was reported in Ocean View also on Wednesday 5 December.

The current status of the fire at Deer Park:

There is still a lot of smoke in the area due to stumps still smouldering. The current crews will be replaced by fresh crews at 16h00 on Wednesday who will monitor the area over the next two days to ensure that the blaze is completely extinguished.

The TMNP fire crews, which includes the Volunteer Wildfire Services, are assisted by crews from the government-funded Working on Fire (WoF) programme as well as 2 medium size helicopters (one contracted through WoF and another supplied by the Provincial Disaster Management) stationed at the SANParks Fire Base at Newlands. They are on high alert and all resources will be dispatched immediately when a fire call is received from anywhere within the Park.

Due to an agreement signed between TMNP and the WoF Programme, TMNP will also be able to call in additional resources (hand crews as well as helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft) during periods of extended attack.

TMNP fire officials requests the public to exercise extreme caution during the fire season and to only braai in designated braai areas, not make any illegal fires and to discard cigarette butts safely and not by throwing them out of vehicle windows.

The general public is also requested to immediately report all fires within TMNP at 0861 106 417 or the City of Cape Town Fire Services at 107 or 021 480 7700 (from a cell phone).

Issued by:
South African National Parks

Enquiries:
Philip Prins
Manager: Fire and Technical Services
Table Mountain National Park
(021) 689 7438 / 083 961 5046

or

Merle Collins
Regional Communications Manager
South African National Parks (Cape Region)
072 627 3910
Merle.collins@sanparks.org

Tel: (012) 426 5202

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:11 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
One can get mugged anywhere as stated above.

I have not read of muggings this summer, Tim, and August is not the warmest month, so it could well be out of mugger season.

If you are here over a weekend and wish to go birding, contact me and maybe we could organise something.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:45 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Was in CT a week ago and thankfully didn't see any fires on the Table. We wanted to hike up Skeleton Gorge, but the constant and ubiquitous warnings about potential muggings deterred us; especially the ladies. I'd absolutely love to do this walk, but am now not sure whether it is worth the risk. My gut instinct tells me that, if the hike was indeed too dangerous, then the paths would be closed by officials. I will research more and consider an avenue forward next time we go. Pity I didn't get to read this thread before I left as things recently do look a lot better on TMNP. :thumbs_up:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:57 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Bush Baptist wrote:
Sadly it is mugging season on TM again.

Why don't the 'rangers' do a trojan horse situation. Set up a party of vulnerable looking hikers and when they are accosted shoot the muggers through the knees and drag them to court.

But I suppose it is unfair, impinging on the muggers rights, the rights they don't afford to their victims.

:thumbs_up: :think:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My wife and I have enjoyed many a hike up Skeleton gorge - the route is spectacular but I prefer ascending to descending! My knees don't like steep descents!

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:21 pm 

I have suggested to the Table Mountain National Park that they should provide adequate security by employing sufficient wardens . The big problem of course is financial---but I reckon this could easily be overcome by charging for entrance to the Mountain including Sandy Bay area. I have suggested a Day Pass be set at R50 which tourists can easily afford ----and CT Residents can buy a Green Card for yearly access. The Revenue from charging for access would enable the Parks Board to employ extra wardens which would increase the safety factor which would bring in more revenue . CAN MORE PEOPLE WRITE TO THE TMNP TO SUPPORT MY SUGGESTION PLEASE.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:30 am 

Useful link here for safety around Table Mountain.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7