Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mites go to Kruger to raise funds for our rhinos
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:20 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanx PNF, two of everything is better than just one... nice to meet you guys!

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hey welcome back Heksiegal lekker to have you back and reporting. What a great bunch of people you met and what a great family we all are.
Looking forward to some more.

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished Lao Tzu

Shingwedzi 27/12/14 to 30/12/14
Satara 31/12/14 to 04/01/15
Lower Sabie 05/01/15 to 10/01/15

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:19 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)
Imberbe wrote:
It was just a little friendly flash! :naughty: :twisted:

Yes now I know, but when it happened I was scared shirtless :tongue:

Super Mongoose wrote:
Hey Heks, sooooo nice to meet every one and awesome to put faces to names, they all feel like family now!

Glad you have a bit of time left after a long day of teaching to still join us on the forum, missed you!!!!

Can't wait for the pics of all the sightings!

:gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower:

Some days I have a lot of time left, but it seems that I'm starting to get lazy so now I'm trying to make it a habit to join the forum for at least an hour after school. Still working out the kinks because somedays I have no time and sometimes alot. We must try to get together SuperM :hmz: have a bit of a kuier and laugh a lot, cause that is what we do the best :wink:

dellac wrote:
Hi Heksie :hello:
Have just been reading through your TR :wink: .. And yep I think we should try
something in 2013 :pray: :pray: ... At the moment we are here in the 'cold' UK
feeling very :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .. Anneowl of course is enjoying the summer in
Jo'burg :roll: .. Mind you we just found out yesterday that she was burgled and some
*****!! Has stolen her TV, camera, binoculars & laptop .. Not good news & worse still
she was in bed when it happened ... But I suppose at least she was okay :wall: :wall:
Anyway hope you are still enjoying your new work, and not being too hard on the little
'Darlings' in your class :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Aggeno man! That is now SOuth Africa for you, so glad as well that she is safe but definitely not a way to start a new year. I'm also going to try and book 9 days in Krugs in December, so hope that we will see each other? :pray:

cheetah2111 wrote:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

hilda wrote:
How nice to have met so many wonderful 'mites Heksie! :clap: :clap:

Looking forward to the next episode! :dance: :dance:

This episode have a kiekie just for you. ANd yes it was such a special and memorable trip, this trip was not just for animals, it had a cause, every day I felt proud to be there and to see so many mites was just the cherry on top :D

lion queen wrote:
Wow you were a lucky and busy girl!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Busy we where. I decided that I would never again organise a meet in Kruger, as the Kruger have no time and to try to keep to that is just a hassle. Next time we organise sleep overs in camps :lol: I was late for every meet that I have ever organised. :slap:

barryels wrote:
:hello: Heksie,

Welcome back to the forum :thumbs_up: .

Great to have met so many 'mites on the trip :clap: . Must say we also had a few turn arounds and chasing down yellow ribbons during Sept 2012 :tongue: .

Seeing mites on a drive is a lot of fun and we had a lot of laughs, especially when we chat a 'dog out of a bush' :wink: and then another car/twice/three stop and asks what are we looking at... :lol: And the stories we come up with when somebody ask about the YR's :twisted:

Trrp-trrrrrrrr wrote:
:gflower: Heksie....What a lot of fun to have met so many mites. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks for sharing :thumbs_up:

Thanks for still being on board, are you going to organise a Kruger trip anytime soon? :hmz:

PNF wrote:
Hi Heksie - glad you're back :gflower: Thought that you'd been washed away in the floods.............

It was great meeting you and WendyA - even for a fleeting moment. We were on our way home (unfortunately....) and still half asleep - it was about 5.30am if memory is correct! By the way, P is behind the wheel (very unusual in KNP...) and F is peering over his shoulder.................yup! PNF is not one person but two. F is mainly on the forum and P provides pics whenever a TT happens (not often!)
Look forward to the rest of your story...................

Now I have learned something new today :thumbs_up: But my question is who does the 'I'm thinking of' quiz with me? is it now P? or F? Ya we did meet very early that morning and it was the biggest surprise that day :dance:

Sparrow wrote:
Hey welcome back Heksiegal lekker to have you back and reporting. What a great bunch of people you met and what a great family we all are.
Looking forward to some more.

Yellow Sparrow :yaya:
Ok I will be booking my accommodation in March. Will hopefully be going to LS 14-18 and Satara 19-22... :pray: Now meeting mites, this year I have been blessed with meeting such a big and wonderful family. including you in October :thumbs_up:

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:32 am 
Now lets get to some animals and birdies

Jis you okes did give us a very hard list to tick off with this fundraiser trip. We didn't get them all but searching and actually finding certain objects of your desire was a lot of fun and tiring sometimes. You should have seen us jumping up and down when we had an animal on the list and then going 'oh, NO!' when we had to pose for a certain kiekie or when we weren't that lucky with an animal/birdy. But I have to say that this was a lot of fun :thumbs_up:

Now I know you guys want to see kitty cats so I will reward you today for all your hard waiting, I believe your bums are a bit sore...
And all of you, hopefully, know already that I have never seen a Cheetah in Kruger and firmly believed that they were just an urban legend... well on my first day my unluckiness have broken and Wendy showed me my first (sorry for the quality of my kiekie, he was a bit far, could only see with the binocs) cheetah. Day one was a spotty day... Yes I'm leaving my best kiekies for the TR that will follow, these only serves as proof of my sightings :twisted: So this is a starter for those kiekies yet to come...

Cheetah on the S100

And a leppie on the H1-2 just past Kruger tablets

Then as you guys should know our luck ran dry after day one with those spotted ones until we arrived at Lower Sabie. Our last evening there we were informed about an impala kill on the S128 and we surely went to investigate. We found leppie number 2 that afternoon and our last night we had a fiesta to celebrate another tick we made on the fundraiser.

BUT then our departing day I decided to take my fully packed car that morning and go check out if Miss Leppie was still there to greet me and I had the biggest surprise ever!!!!! On the 4 way intersection of S29/H10/S128 somebody was waiting for me...

I phoned WendyA which was drinking a coffee in camp that time and telling her to get her bum in her car and come check this out. I took a lot of kiekies and then after satisfying my cheetah craving it was time to go see if my other spotty was still in her tree... WendyA bid farewell because she still had to pack. I drove to the tree I saw my fair spotty the previous evening and to my disappointment she wasn't there but moved into another tree across the road with her love...

I phoned Wendy again but she said that she needs to finish packing and won't come. Eish!!!! :slap: I actually wanted to leave the Park at 9 that morning but it was 6:30 and I was still on the S128. I decided to leave my loving couple and on my way back to LS to go wee I saw all these hyenas busy on their way to bother Mr and Ms Spots.

When I got to camp I made a coffee while Wendy was finishing up and we decided to drive together to Croc. I bid LS farewell for the second time that morning. We got the the T-section to turn to the bridge and asked Wendy if she wants to check if the the leppies are still there... She said 'why not?' and off we went into the totally wrong direction. We turned onto S128 and another surprise was thrown into our direction as a going away present from Kruger... The one cheetah of earlier multiplied!!!!! There were 5 of them just next to the road and I was jumping up and down in my poor broken little squeekems. What a way to leave the park.

For now I have to say cheers but later today there will be a birdy episode... :wink:

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:56 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
:gflower: Heksie

:mrgreen: Yippeee !!!! at last you got to see your Cheetahs .... :big_eyes: and so many times, so.... 8) :tongue:

Leppies were also playing ball and gave you great sightings....just awesome. :thumbs_up:

Hyenas look well fed with those bulging bellies. :clap:

Looking forward to the birdie episode. :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:16 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
My dear Heksie! What a wonderful experience! So many, lovely Cheetahs for the girl who has never seen them in Kruger before! I am so GLAD for you! Beautiful! :clap: :clap:

Your Leopards and Hyenas are to cry for! Absolutely fantastic! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:44 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
:big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Oh my goodness!!!! What a lot of cheetahs!!!!.............. :thumbs_up:

Just stunning and I'm so glad for your sake!!!! I do hope this is the beginning of many successful cheetah sightings for years to come!!!!

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:40 am 
Trrp-trrrrrrrr wrote:
:gflower: Heksie

:mrgreen: Yippeee !!!! at last you got to see your Cheetahs .... :big_eyes: and so many times, so.... 8) :tongue:

Leppies were also playing ball and gave you great sightings....just awesome. :thumbs_up:

Hyenas look well fed with those bulging bellies. :clap:

Looking forward to the birdie episode. :popcorn:

I don't know why but the last couple of years I'm very lucky with leppies-the golden kitty sighting are always scarce and it is them that I want to see :slap:
Birdies are on their way :thumbs_up:

hilda wrote:
My dear Heksie! What a wonderful experience! So many, lovely Cheetahs for the girl who has never seen them in Kruger before! I am so GLAD for you! Beautiful! :clap: :clap:

Your Leopards and Hyenas are to cry for! Absolutely fantastic! :dance: :dance:

I believe that Miss Kruger just decided: 'enough is enough!' and then she threw a few cheetahs my way so I can stop bothering her. See now I will be on her case with servals :twisted:

lion queen wrote:
:big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Oh my goodness!!!! What a lot of cheetahs!!!!.............. :thumbs_up:

Just stunning and I'm so glad for your sake!!!! I do hope this is the beginning of many successful cheetah sightings for years to come!!!!

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

See there is cheetahs in Kruger too :tongue: Not just Kgalagadi :thumbs_up:
It was the beginning for much more kitty luck, but that will only be shown on my TR to come :wink:

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:18 am 
Stiffnecks and their Birds...

Now why did the stiffies decide to put birdies on my list that I won't find hey? It was much more of a challenge to find birdies than to find animals. But searching and Identifying and trying to take kiekies were a lot of fun. These where the ones that we found, it was very difficult with my bad eyesight and Wendy's love for MMC...

This was a puffed up kori bustard that posed for us very nicely at a dam near Mooiplaas. I truly don't know the roads name but I do remember it was the dirt road which takes you to Tihongonyeni.

And this was the reason that we were on the Tihongonyeni dirt road in the first place... Tannie VVV wanted us to take a kiekie of a wee little birdy that you could only find at that specific waterhole. We drove all the way there and me sitting with my binocs just couldn't find it on the edges of the water... Then Wendy stopped next to me and asked what is the little birdy next to her car? I drove to her other side and lo and behold... There was the elusive Kittlitts Plover.

Now this birdy was not hard to find, you heard him absolutely everywhere. But actually seeing one so early in summer and getting them to pose for a kiekie was much harder. Dinkybird here is your Woody...

And this was a much harder challenge. Recording the song of the woody, but we did conquer that feat and we stand triumphant here on the forum. Dinks no challenge is too big :tongue:

http://s1086.beta.photobucket.com/user/Anri-Wayland/media/MVI_0079.mp4.html

Woodpeckers were a bit more difficult to find... They said you hear them first. Which I never did :slap: We had two sightings which is of the same pecker I believe although I wished it wasn't. One at Phalaborwa Gate and one in our camp at Lower Sabie. The Cardinal woodpecker.

And then a mite very dear to my heart just loves Fish Eagles. And when we drive pas this magnificent bird we just couldn't help ourselves. Spending about 30 minutes slobbering over our sighting of the day (yes this was it) I even have video footage if this act. Hilda your birdy.

Now that was for the birdies which we got on photo. They do not include the gazilion lifers that I got and other special birdies sightings that me and Wendy shared.

Next up random challenges that were thrown our way...

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:45 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Absolutely superb bird sightings Heksie, and THANK YOU for the beautiful Fish Eagle! :clap: :clap:

Gorgeous Kori Bustard, and that cute little Kittlitts Plover and Woodland Kingfisher! Awesome! Great shots of the Woodpecker too! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:30 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
oh wow stunning birdies

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:37 am 

So :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:47 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)

Here is your video Heksie...........what a joy!!!

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:20 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Awesome video Heksie! I love their call! :clap: :clap:

Thank you for posting the video Lion Queen! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

What a way to say totsiens to the park seven kittys on the way out.

See you in Satara over December, will keep a site for you.

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished Lao Tzu

Shingwedzi 27/12/14 to 30/12/14
Satara 31/12/14 to 04/01/15
Lower Sabie 05/01/15 to 10/01/15

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next