SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Augrabies landscape points
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all

Having been so focused on the KTP part of my upcoming photographic trip, I have not done enough research on landscape vantage points for Augrabies. I am aware of the falls boardwalks and the basic shots from there. However, I am more interested in getting to know of other places. I only have 3 days so that is only 3 sunsets and 3 sunrises... :think:

I am quite fit so can cover much ground in little time if required. I have noted some nice walking trails and a drive, but I would like to know where I want to be before I get to the park. So far Google has offered little help. :wall: So I am hoping that there is some good advice from anyone who has been to the park.

I am keen to take any sort of landscape shots, so no need to focus only on the falls (but any tips of good view points is of value too). What is good as a sunrise and what as a sunset spot would also be of much value. :pray:

Thanks in advance :gflower:

John

Follow my solo KTP photographic and birding TRAVEL TALE

Photograph all moments of beauty not to forget, but treasure them in your heart to remember

Post subject: Re: Augrabies landscape points
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:24 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We weren't there near sunset or sunrise, but I think Oranjekom is one of the best viewpoints I've ever been to in the country. I think you may be able to get there for sunset on an official activity.
We really enjoyed the game viewing drive (we didn't go onto the loop section), there are lots of places there too.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:16 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
MxM as Josh said the only way you would be able to take photos of the sunsets from any of the walking trails or the drive will be if you go on a sunset drive.

All those walking trails and the drive to Oranjekom etc is in the Wilderness area and there is a gate that gets locked at sunset.

You can how ever drive to the entrance gate and see if there is any landscape point you might like for a sunset?? I got a stunning rainbow photo many years ago on that road.

Then if you can, do drive the loop. There are stunning quiver trees and rock formations. At the picnic spot plus minus half way, you can braai some sausage and relax under stunning Camel Thorn Trees!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the notes so far, lion queen and Jock of the Bushveld. I will see how much budget is left for activities here as I plan on 2 drives and 2 walks in KTP already...

I did hear about the quiver trees, so thanks lion queen for reminding me. I have planned at least 1 day to drive all along the route, especially to find my last birdies of the trip, want at least 20 new guys in the 2 weeks I am away.

The Dassie Trail sounds like a nice short trail, are there any good stops here? Am I allowed to walk here after the gate time (although I will be aiming to be in civilisation before it is stars out)?

Also, I know I mentioned sunrise and sunset, but in that I include early and late daylight, so obviously within the legal time slots.

Follow my solo KTP photographic and birding TRAVEL TALE

Photograph all moments of beauty not to forget, but treasure them in your heart to remember

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:50 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Do what you need to in order to stretch your budget for a sunset or night drive at Augrabies, it will be well worth it, even if you have to forgo food for a few days! Check out the Augrabies night drive sightings thread and have a look at what's been seen lately. Try get in touch with Augrabies Guru and ask him for ideas, he'll definitely be able to help you out.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal