SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: RAW or JPEG and why?
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:51 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Who uses which and why?
I use RAW because it can be changed many times without losing any quality of the original image (RAW).
But it uses many MB and your memory card will be full fast.
And RAW must be processed in a decent editing programme ( I use Adobe Lightroom)
Its time consuming but i am in charge of all the details of the image.

However, i have a few friends who uses JPEG. Smaller file format and they already add some processing data in the camera, like saturation, sharpness to name a few and they are very happy with the result.
Editing JPEG in a editing programme works as well, but you do loose some information everytime you process the image. Not alarming but still.

If you are happy and satisfied with the results from the camera and need a little processing go for JPEG.
If you want to be in charge do RAW.

But the time that only RAW producted perfect pictures are behing us. With the correct usage of modern day camera's JPEG does produce great images as well.

So it boilt down to: Spending hours behind the computer( like i need to do but always seem to miss the time) or load the JPEG from the camera in the computer and be done with it.
Which file format do you favour and why
RAW or JPEG?

Post subject: Re: RAW or JPEG and why?
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Howzit bert!

I think we had a thread on this subject way back in 2005? I was then and still am firmly in the JPEG camp, since I have no interest in (nor time for) postprocessing. I just hope to get my images exposed correctly at the time. And mostly that works out just fine -- except when I forget to reset my settings after some low light (night time) photos :redface:

Also, partly on your recommendation, I have now bought the Lumix FZ200 and am learning to use it, slow learning curve as it's a lot different from my Canons, but I'm appreciating how much lighter my camera bag now is! And while it does allow for RAW, I am sticking with JPEG :whistle:

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:49 pm 

Arks 8)
You wont go wrong with the FZ200
I read up on many reviews about the newer bridge camera's and the conclusions are always.
The best result is still with the FZ200
But there are newer bridge camera's from Fuji and Canon with wopping zoom lenses these days.
The digital world moves fast
Last years camera's are almost old

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

OK so I use jpeg and that is because at the moment, my camera only does jpeg. But I am about to pull the trigger on a 70D and that has RAW capability. I have two friends, both capable and long time photographers. And one of them swears by RAW. And the other reckons that RAW is a waste of time because your camera can do all that for you if you know what you are doing with your camera. I dont know.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:17 pm 

Gents
One question to ask yourself - why have you taken the image and what are you going to do with it.
I take lots of action rugby images for local clubs, Royal Navy and the Army and send them to them as low resolution images which they are able to manage easily. The images have a limited life so need to be on websites, local media, facebook, etc within 24 hours otherwise the moment is lost - spending hours sorting and processing 600+ images is just not realistic if captured in RAW.
These are all captured in jpeg because I don't need the extra quality that RAW gives me. If doing squad or individual mug shots then RAW is used and high quality image is produced.
Most Wildlife and other images are captured in RAW because I want the quality and they are not time critical.
What does the average amateur get from RAW probably little or nothing and most people viewing the images will not notice any difference in quality.
Just my thoughts
Regards
JDW

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:55 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
when I return home with more than 11000 pictures... I think I have enough work with JPG... :lol:
and it's quasi not possible to have a Cheetah's chase in raw... not quick enough :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:24 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Some good points and I'm being educated. And come to think of it, when I set my camera on continuous burst mode, there is quite some delay in the images to get saved to the card. But I do believe that there are situations where RAW would (or could) be preferred. eg. animal portraits.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:33 am 

I capture both RAW and JPeg. Storage space is inexpensive and while I seldom rework my raw images, not having them removes this opportunity. On occasion, I have been able to recover a great images that were badly exposed, something that is less easily done if the original RAW image is not available.

I am sure that many people have taken many images with incorrect white balance settings (sometimes completely wrong for the scene) and have either had to discard those images, or try to rework them in JPeg format. Raw images give you the ability (and the opportunity) to get a better outcome from any rework than would otherwise be the case. I would suggest that you should not limit your opportunities before your start.

Photographs help to crystallize memories, but cannot be seen to be a replacement of them!

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:28 pm 

Moobox
The delay in saving the image to the card is caused by your camera's inability to process/crunch the data quickly enough.
All D-SLR cameras have a buffer where the captured image is temporarily stored whilst the camera processes/crunches the data and saves it to the card, the faster the card the quicker it will down load. Also the bigger the file the longer it takes.
The more professional the camera the bigger the buffer and the faster the camera engine processes/crunches the data.
On the cheaper D-SLR cameras burst the buffer quickly fills, once full the camera will not take further images until space becomes available. Once there is space then the camera will start working again but slowly as it is just topping up the buffer.
I use the Nikon D3 which has a large buffer and rarely fills the buffer even using RAW. On jpeg fine its like the shoot out at the OK coral!!
Because I cover sport (rugby) I need to capture fast moving events and tend to capture in bursts of 3/4 images with a very short split second pause between them. This works for me and also helps with accuracy as whilst you are shooting bursts the camera has a tendency to move off of the target subject, very much like firing a machine gun.
Hope this helps
Regards
JDW

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:21 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

OK thanks JDW. I was thinking that it sort of had something to do with the speed of the SD card as well. But I really didnt know so I am grateful for this insight.

How would I know what the size of a buffer is on a camera seeing as I am in the market for a new DSLR? Seems to me this is an important spec if you want to shoot action or wildlife. I have looked around and cant find any spec referring to "buffer". Do the manufacturers call it something else?

Cheers - Ed

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:49 am 

Thank you for your input JWD
Indeed, buffering with JPG is much faster then with RAW
(at least with the "older" camera's)
Have a Canon EOS 60 and did some pied kingfishers landing on a branch
The sequence worked well with JPG and not with RAW

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:36 am 

Moobox
The size of the buffer should be in your cameras user handbook.
Additionally look at the specification on the manufacturers website for the particular camera your interested in.
If you can't find it come back to this tread with the details of the camera(s) you are interested in.
Regards
JDW

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

So I'm being a bit of a nuisance I reckon but I have scouted around and find nothing. Or maybe I dont know what I am looking for? At the moment I have a Sony DSC HX200v. It is a bridge camera with quite a zoom. On DPReview, I find mention ofthe buffer but know spec. And then I have ordered a Canon 70D. And DPReview mentions the buffer without a spec though. And the manufacturers websites for both say nothing about a buffer.And I'm starting to think that this is a pretty important spec for me to consider now.

Cheers - Ed

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Moobox, its also called internal memory. Your camera has around 105mb. The Canon 7D that I use has around 270MB and can take around 15 18mp raw photos, and 94 jpg's.

I had a 10D with a very small buffer and RAW's were always a problem, even though I bought the fastest cards at that time.

So ultimately the delay is based on four things:

1. Photo size: many small files are moved faster than a few large files (just look at how long it takes to copy a 1000 photos vs one movie on your computer)

2. The size of your internal memory. Not all of that memory is used to store photo's but also run the programmes that run you camera. Plonking the memory full with a burst then makes your camera even slower as there is also less space for the programmes to run.

3. Speed of your memory card: obviously a faster one can transfer faster, but is limited by point 4

4. The speed of you camera's processor. The higher end cameras and newer ones have faster processors. If your processor is slower than your card (as i had with the 10D) it can only go as fast as the processor.

Interestingly I found out the other day that the 7D has twin DIGIC processors, with each performing different functions in the camera, but with bursts runs in a master and slave mode, allowing much longer bursts up to 25 frames.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

JPEG for me.

I appreciate that RAW has so much more "info" in it.

But I really don't have the time to process.
Last trip to Kruger I took over 1,000 photos :cam: