The Knysna Forest is world famous for its magical beauty, dark and mystical recesses and giant Outeniqua Yellowwoods, some of which are almost a thousand years old.
It has achieved a mythical and permanent place in South African literature through the works of writer Dalene Matthee who has found inspiration for numerous novels in the heart of the forest.
5 things to seek:
- Millwood Mine - In the midst of Knysna Forest you will find the last remains of the bygone gold rush at the Materolli Gold Mine. Experience the history of a 19th century gold rush at the Museum and enjoy meals at the Materollie Coffee Shop and Restaurant.
- Dripkelders - A challenging path winds its way down into a hidden and spectacular kloof.
- The Elephant Walk - Offers three different loops through sections of the forest.
- Big Tree - The Big Tree also known as the Kind Edward V11 tree. This is a famous landmark and visitor attraction near Diepwalle Forest Station. Another Big Tree worth seeing is close to the Velbroeksdraai picnic site. These giant Outeniqa yellowwoods are about 800+ years old.
- Forest Legends Museum in Diepwalle Forest - If you venture into the mysterious Knysna Forest you will find, at its heart, the Diepwalle Section of the Garden Route National Park which is home to the Forest Legends Museum including stories on the Woodcutters. The museum reveals some of the forest's best kept secrets.
Have a question? Why not ask on the forums?
View and download maps.